How does the "Done" work on the Kanban board?

Mihály Aszódi July 8, 2019

Hi!

We have started using the Jira and the Kanban board of a Project.
I was looking for articles about the Done status, but I couldn’t find any.
Can anybody tell me, what happens to Issues that are done? How long will it stay there? Because I’ve been in a project, where there are 50+ done issues, but none of them is shown on the Kanban board. It is possible to look for older done issues, but I do not know how long will it take for an issue to get older? Or what is the process behind it?

Maybe in addition, anybody can tell me what is the difference between Closed & Reasolved?

Thanks!

1 answer

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 8, 2019

Hi @Mihály Aszódi ,

an issue is not deleted when it is done. It's still there, but maybe not in your Kanban board.

Kanban boards are designed by default in a way that issues disappear from the board if they have a fixversion which is released

So, if you or your project administrator sets a fixversion to your "done" issues and releases this version, the issue disappear from the board. But you can still find it in other project views or when you search for the issue.

Hi @Thomas Schlegel !

Thank you very much for your answer. 

I know that they are not deleted. But after a certain time the done issues are gone from the list. I know how I can find them. That is not the case. My only concern is the time. How long will it stick on the Kanban board?

Unfortunately we are not in development, we are in operations. So the “release” function is irrelevant for us. Teams in our company uses Kanban boards for sort of an activity tracking.

I’m the project lead in one of the projects, so I have all the rights I need. What is the “fixversion” that you wrote?

Thanks!

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 8, 2019

There is no dedicated time until they are gone. They are gone when their fixversion is released (by default).

But maybe your board is configured in another way. Have a look at the Board Configuration and look at the sub-filter for the Kanban board. There you should find the configuration  for displaying issues in your board.

Another reason might be the board filter itself. If you created a board with a filter like "show me all issues which are open and all which were closed before ... days" then you'll find this filter also in the board configuration. 

Hi Thomas!

Thank you! You solved my problem :)

I didn't see that part of the board config. It is under "General" at the botom. "Hide completed issues older than ... "

Thanks!

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 8, 2019

Great, @Mihály Aszódi ,

if you think, your question is answered, please accept the answer. Users with similar questions can find answers more easy when they are accepted.

Thank you. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events