How do you transition an Exception Report to closed? What does transition mean?

David DeSantis April 22, 2019

There is a Close tab in the Edit Issue dialog(s).  Entering in information that indicates what was done to close an issue does not seem to transition the issue.  Where is the status "Closed" displayed?   I see a status for "Resolved" that is still reporting the issue as unresolved.  What is the formal definition of Closed vs. Resolved.  I need to close and resolve an issue and there is nothing on any of the GUIs or any instructions on how to do this? 

2 answers

0 votes
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 22, 2019

Hello @David DeSantis 

This can be slightly confusing for people starting out with Jira.

Closed vs Resolution what you talk of is basically two different things. One is status and other is resolution.

Status of an issue can be *Closed* but the Resolution can be *Rejected*

Or Status can be *Closed* but the resolution can be *Duplicate*

When an resolution is set on an issue then you will see an strikethrough across the issue key when the issue is mentioned in the comments in any other issue.

The status "closed" generally doesn't mean much for Jira unless you resolve the issue i.e. set an resolution on an issue.

But as per good practice when you have the issue "close" in the status then the resolution should also be set and if it has some other status then resolution should be cleared.

Please see another explanation here

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Answers-Developer-Questions/What-Is-The-Relation-between-Status-And-resolution/qaq-p/491536

0 votes
Deleted user April 22, 2019

Hi David,

Changing from one status to another in Jira is all about the workflow(s) attached to your project. If you are looking at the issue detail screen, next to the status field should be a "View Workflow" link. Click there to see what options you have.

This might help:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/working-with-workflows-776636540.html

Let me know if you need more help.

Deleted user April 22, 2019

Oh and you can change the status by dragging an issues from one status (column) on a board to another or there are buttons that can be pushed in the issue screen.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events