How do you filter Tasks that belong in a Jira Project that has an Epic Link to a different Project?

Steven Chau August 13, 2020

Working with Cross Functional teams, say IT and HR, where each one of us have our own respective Jira Projects. 

Tracking all of my IT Stories/Tasks can easily be found within the IT Epic. And even HR Stories/Tasks show up in the IT epic. 

However, I want to create a filter search where I am able to view all HR issues that have an Epic Link to any Epic in the IT Project. Currently the JQL seems to only allow to search for a specific Epic. Is there any way to make it a blanket statement that essentially tries to search for any Epic Linking to the IT Jira project?

I imagine it would looks something similar to:

project = HR AND issuetype in (Story, Task) AND "Epic Link" = (Project = IT)

2 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 14, 2020

Hi @Steven Chau 

You'll need an app which can provide more advanced JQL functions - such as Scriptrunner

The reason for this is you need to have a sub-query - to allow you to search for:

• Main Query: All issues in the HR project that...
  • Sub Query: Have an Epic Link in the IT project

Amanda has offered one method to do this - an alternative based on your query and utilising the app above, would be:

issueFunction in issuesInEpics("project = IT") and project = HR and issuetype in (Story, Task)

And you could also search the other way - for example, looking for Epics in HR which have children in IT:

issueFunction in epicsOf("project = IT") and project = HR

Ste

Steven Chau August 14, 2020

I see, thanks for the response!

0 votes
Answer accepted
Amanda Kirk
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 13, 2020

@Steven Chau Do you have add-ons that provide advanced JQL functions?

You can use something like this:

issuefunction in linkedIssuesOf("project = IT and assignee = amanda", "is Epic of") AND project = HR

The first portion of this finds all issues in Epics where the Epic is in project IT and the assignee of the Epic is amanda.

The second portion then further refines that list of issues to only return issues in HR

What would result is any HR issues that are linked to Epics in IT assigned to amanda.

I hope this gives you an idea of what you could do with the above type of query!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events