How do I create a filter that searches for a time period not a date selection

jean cameron July 14, 2020

I want to create a JQL filter that finds issues that have not changed status for between 7-14 days, and then for 0-6 days etc. from any given "today"

2 answers

0 votes
Emre Toptancı [OBSS]
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 17, 2020

Hello @jean cameron ,

For simple filtering, you can use a JQL like this one:

project = X and NOT (status changed AFTER -7d and status changed BEFORE -1d)

If you want to get more data about how long a card stays in a status, Our team at OBSS built Time in Status app for this exact need. The app produces reports much more detailed than the control chart and gives you much more control over the reports.

It is available for Jira Server, Cloud and Data Center.

Time in Status allows you to see how much time each issue spent on each status or assigned to each assignee or group. You can combine statuses into consolidated columns to see metrics like AgeResolution TimeCycle Time or Lead Time. For these metrics, the report is not bound by board columns, you can individually select which statuses to include or exclude. All durations can be display in various formats including days, hours, minutes even seconds. 

tisCloud_StatusSelection_Consolidated_output.png

It can calculate averages and sums of those durations grouped by issue fields you select. (For example see the average Cycle Time per project and per issuetype or see the sum of InProgress time per component). 

Time in Status uses Jira issue histories to calculate its reports so you can use the app to get reports on your past issues as well.

The app has custom calendar support so you can get your reports based on a 24/7 calendar or your custom business calendar. (This one is important because a 24/7 calendar in most cases shows misleading data. For example an issue created at 16:00 on Friday and was resolved at 09:00 on next Monday seems to stay open for 2,5 days but in terms of business hours, it is only a few hours. You can see this using Time in Status by OBSS.)

Using Time in Status you can:

• See how much time each issue spent on each status, assignee, user group and also see dates of status transitions. Get metrics like Lead Time or Cycle Time.
  • Calculate averages and sums of those durations grouped by issue fields you select. (For example see average InProgress time per project and per issuetype.)
  • Export your data as XLS, XLSX or CSV.
  • Access data via REST API.
  • Use one of various charts type for your reports.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/1211756

EmreT

0 votes
Veronique DUFOUR July 15, 2020

Hi @jean cameron 

You can use the following functions:

• now()
  • startOfDay()
  • startOfWeek()
  • startOfMonth()
  • startOfYear()
  • endOfDay()
  • endOfWeek()
  • endOfMonth()
  • endOfYear()

Also, here are some examples: 

updated <= "-4w 2d" (Use "w", "d", "h" and "m" to specify weeks, days, hours, or minutes.)

status WAS "Resolved" BEFORE "2019/02/02" (or DURING ("2010/01/01","2011/01/01"))

due < endOfMonth("+1")  optional increment of (+/-)nn(y|M|w|d|h|m)

jean cameron July 15, 2020

Thanks Veronique, I'm pretty new to this stuff so appreciate your help - the above terms are still not quite working for me - what I'm looking for is something that brings back a result for

project = X AND Status has not changed (for between 1 and 7 days)

~ (for between 8 and 14 days) etc.

since this is a kanban project I'm just looking to understand how long a card stays in a particular column (as some columns denote external parties activities and I want to be able to monitor the teams throughput

Cheers 

Zoryana Bohutska _SaaSJet_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 12, 2020

Hello @jean cameron 

To get data about time in a particular column, you can try such the alternative solution as Time in Status for Jira Cloud - calculates time an issue has been staying in a particular status, and generates the Status Entrance report with the date when the status has been changed. 

I hope it helps

Regards

Zoryana

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events