How do I connect Jira to MYSQL 8.0

Derek_Anderson June 25, 2020

Followed instructions for connecting to MYSQL 5.7+ but not having any success.

2 answers

0 votes
Payne
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 26, 2020
0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 25, 2020

What instructions are you using and what are you doing differently from them?

I used the instructions from https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver089/connecting-jira-applications-to-mysql-5-7-1005346014.html.  After making the database changes recommended, the mysql service will no longer start.  I then commented out the changes that were causing it to crash, but was unable to create a successful connection.  I was setting all of this up in a test environment, so to make sure it wasn't me missing something, in installed mysql 5.7.10.0 and followed the instructions again.  This time it worked with no issues.  Are newer versions of mysql not supported, or are there alternate instructions for these newer versions?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 25, 2020

They're supported.

If the database is not starting after you make changes to the my.cnf, then you need to debug that, not look at Jira.

I've had the same problem only last week, reading the mysql logs revealed where I'd made mistakes in the my.cnf

That is where I made the changes was on the my.ini file. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 25, 2020

Sorry, I spend 99% of my time with Unix-like systems and quote "my.cnf" by habit when MySQL is mentioned. 

my.ini is for Windows based systems, but the principle is the same (I have a sneaking memory that the files actually contain exactly the same text!).  If you change the my config and the database fails to start, you need to look at that, and the best way is to check the database logs - they will almost certainly say exactly what is wrong.

(One thing I would appreciate across the entire field of computing is a "logging AI" that writes improved logs - rather than "I'm not starting the server because there's something iffy on line 65", something that says "Nic edited the file and he appears to be completely incapable of typing innnodb with the right number of n's in it in line 65".)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events