How can I transition all issues in an Epic, when the Epic undergoes the transition?

Victor Grazi September 23, 2019

Whenever I move an Epic from Backlog to In Progress, I want all of the issues linked to that epic to automatically transition.

There doesn't seem to be a built-in Post function for this.

I thought of using a JQL query, but I don't see how I can grab the key of the Epic that is transition, to create the JQL.

Is there any way to transition all linked Jiras, when their parent epic transitions?

2 answers

0 votes
fran garcia gomera
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 24, 2019

You could do it with automation

automation.png

Translate every step to english:

1 - WHEN issue is transitioned

2- AND issue matches JQL issuetype=epic

3 - Bifurcation rule: For stories (or other issues in epic)

4 - THEN transition the issue to: "copy from triggering issue"

The order of  1 and 2 can be changed (I don't know if you have more actions of any kind in epics or more transitions in the whole jira, it would depend of the number of epics you have, less epics you have, better checking 2 before 1 )

0 votes
Pavan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 23, 2019

@Victor Grazi this might be achieved by using the plugin called JMWE, we can update the transition based on parent ticket

https://innovalog.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/JMWE/pages/68878434/Workflow+Post-functions

Suggest an answer