Have Commercial License and need to upgrade Ubuntu from 16.04 to 20.04.

ilter February 21, 2022

Hi All,

In our company a Jira Commercial License was bought for 50 users a few years ago and we've been using that since.

Now we have some issues with the Ubuntu OS and want to upgrade our server to latest Ubuntu LTS (20.04).

I made some research and decided that it'll be best if we install a new server with Ubuntu 20.04 and install Jira there, moving all data and attachments to the new installation.

The question is, which installer should we use and will our Commercial License number work on that new installation? I see Atlassian changed current license types and I want to make sure that my plan will work before going into all that trouble.

Thanks! 

1 answer

0 votes
Vishwas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 21, 2022

Hey @ilter  Welcome to Atlassian Community !!

I would suggest you to install the jira server same version on Ubuntu 20.04. And yes commercial license is perpetual, so it should work.

Since you are planning to do migration, please try this out in development server before doing on prod server.

Let me know in case of questions. 

ilter February 21, 2022

Hi Vishwas,

Thanks for the welcome!

You mentioned installing the jira server same version on the new Ubuntu 20.04. I was thinking about going to the latest LTS version since I am going throught the trouble.

Should I first install the same version, and then do the upgrade?

Or installing the latest LTS version and importing db backup would also work?

Vishwas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 21, 2022

Before suggesting anything, can you please tell me the version of application and DB.

Based on that we can suggest more on import/export 

ilter February 21, 2022

Of course, here you're...

Jira: 8.12.1
Database: PostgreSQL 9.5.25

Vishwas
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 21, 2022

Hey @ilter 

Jira is already in 8.x version so ideally one can just setup application with latest LTS version and DB as mentioned in supported platform as mentioned here https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver0821/supported-platforms-1115657575.html

The installation setup should have the add-ons too. After that you can take xml backup and restore at new place. Make sure to transfer data like attachments and avatars 

Please check this link on migration steps and instructions to be followed https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/migrating-jira-applications-to-another-server-938846962.html

Another pre-requisite is that, does the license you have is in active maintenance ?

ilter February 22, 2022

Hey :)

Thanks for the links!

For your last question, I think this is what you need... I don't know if it's in active maintenance or not...

Jira-Lincense.jpg

I also saw that under System Info, if relevant...

Jira-Unlicensed.jpg

Thanks for your support!

Vishwas
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 22, 2022

Hey @ilter 

I can see from the first Screenshot that maintenance expired on 15/Sep/2021.

Even though if we do restore data to higher version it is still upgrade process only.

Please check this release notes of the latest 8.20.x version LTS https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftware/jira-software-8-20-x-release-notes-1086411771.html

As the released date is 19-Oct-2021 we cannot upgrade to that version I guess as maintenance is expired prior to this date

ilter February 22, 2022

Hey @Vishwas 

OK, I understand that if I want to upgrade my OS, the only version of Jira LTS I can install on that OS is the 8.13 LTS version since my maintanance covers that one only.

Then, if we want to renew the maintanance license, with whom should we speak or contact to? I'd like to get more information and take some notes before my boss asks me the obvious questions, beforehand... Like how much would that cost, and if possible, or not, etc...

Thank you very much for your support!

Vishwas
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 22, 2022

Hey @ilter 

That's correct on the first part you can go to 8.13 as of now.

If you want to renew go through partner/resellers they will be able to help you with renewal. Or else you can contact Atlassian itself.

Check out this partner directory https://partnerdirectory.atlassian.com/ 

Server renewal is definitely possible till Feb 2, 2024. For The cost part please work with partners or Atlassian Team

More FAQ's about can be found here:

https://www.atlassian.com/licensing/jira-software

Suggest an answer