Giving format to a message custom field

Joan Andreu Juan Torrens August 17, 2020

I'd like to know how to give format to a Message Custom Field. When I use HTML in the default value the results in the user's screen show the HTML code, not the message as I'd like them to see.

Example:

If I enter this:

<font color="red">Check <a href="" target="_blank">this link</a> before proceed.</font>

I'd like to see a red text and a link to a new window, but what I get is:

<font color="red">Check <a href="" target="_blank">this link</a> before proceed.</font>

If I check again the Default Value now the content is:

<p>&lt;font color="red"&gt;Check &lt;a href="" target="_blank"&gt;this link&lt;/a&gt; before proceed.&lt;/font&gt;</p>

So, how do I have to write there so I can get the results I want?

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Rudy Holtkamp
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 17, 2020

You should use the Jira mark-up.

Use this instead:

{color:#d04437}Check [this link|http://example.com] before proceed{color}

Tip: Go to the field 'Description' and create your message their (with markups) and copy that to your message field.

Joan Andreu Juan Torrens August 19, 2020

Great! It worked well. Many thanks

Like Rudy Holtkamp likes this
subham patra September 3, 2021

Hi @Rudy Holtkamp  - Many thanks for the above. Is there any trick to set the BOLD text? 

For example;

{color:#d04437}Check [this link|http://example.com] before proceed{color}

The output should be - "Check this link before proceed"

Thanks in advance! 

Rudy Holtkamp
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 3, 2021

Sure, just put an asterisk in front and behind it.

*{color:#d04437}Check [this link|http://example.com] before proceed{color}*
subham patra September 3, 2021

Ahh! It was that easy!! :D 

Many thanks :-)

Like Rudy Holtkamp likes this
Gábor Budai October 6, 2021

@Rudy Holtkamp Where should I add this mark-up? When I edit the default value for the message custom field? (that"s not working for me) On DC. Thanks!

Kathy Hart
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 24, 2021

@Gábor Budai You can never go back and edit the default value field after you create it, because it will have been translated to HTML, and if you make any edits and update the field it all goes wrong and displays the HTML code. 

You basically have to redo the field from the beginning every time. So save your original markup for future reference. But it has always been like that. 

Like Gábor Budai likes this

Suggest an answer