Get back the old editor for comments

joao_tavora September 17, 2021

I used Jira a lot in 2019 and liked it.  In 2020 I had a horrible experience with Asana, and I missed the simple comment editor of Jira very much.

I notice Jira has a new issue view.  I don't mind it, but the old comment editor which allowed be to first compose things in plain text and then check how they look is pretty horrible.  I find myself clicking through to the old issue view for this.  I just want to get rid of this horrible WYSIWYG editor.  I don't mind losing markdown support.

1 answer

1 vote
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 20, 2021

Hello @joao_tavora,

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

On Jira Cloud, since March this year, all sites were transitioned to the new issue view that includes the markdown editor.

It’s not possible to turn off the new view or use the wiki markup editor.

There was a feature request suggesting to use wiki markup on the new view, but it was closed as “Won’t fix”:

To be transparent, we are closing this issue as we have no plans to support wiki markup in the new editor and new issue view. We're supporting markdown across Jira, Confluence, and Bitbucket Cloud to provide a more modern and consistent editing experience.

Kind regards,
Angélica

joao_tavora September 20, 2021

Angélica, OK, no more wiki markup. Markdown is the future,I guess,all major sites use it.

But then can you comment on the possiblity of allowing users to type actual Markdown directly: i.e. bypass the buggy WYSIWYG editor that sometimes marksup, sometimes doesn't?  Hopefully you understand what I mean:  the point is to let users type Markdown, actual Markdown and then let that be rendered into HTML.  Reddit has this, GitHub has this. 

Best regards,

João

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 21, 2021

Hi João,

When using the markdown syntax, it will be automatically converted. It’s not possible to type the entire text using the syntax and only see the results after the comment/description is saved.

For example, when typing **bold text** once you press space it will show the bold text already and not only when you save the comment/description.

Also, I would like to share with you that there is a bug when pasting an already formatted markdown text to the editor:

joao_tavora September 22, 2021

Hello Angélica,

For example, when typing **bold text** once you press space it will show the bold text already and not only when you save the comment/description

That only works if you type it in this direction: STAR STAR b o l d STAR STAR.

If you use the keys which have the little arrow signs on your keyboard to move back and add the stars _a posteriori_ in any other order, it doesn't work.

This is a very poor experience, in my opinion.  Three quick questions:

Are people not supposed to use the arrow keys? 

Are people supposed to remember these quirks.

Are the engineers and decision makers at Jira observing how Slack, Github, Reddit, Gitlab, etc handle this matter? 

Also, I would like to share with you that there is a bug when pasting an already formatted markdown text to the editor

Hopefully this is being worked on.  Perhaps you should fix that bug _before_ rolling out the feature.

(BTW this comment editor here is also quite bad.  It took me a lot of effort to add these blockquotes)

Thank you for your replies,  and sorry if my feedback is so negative, but I'm just very dissapointed at the loss of user-friendliness in such a very short time.

Best regards,

João

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
September 23, 2021

Hi João,

Thank you for your feedback.

I tested here and I was able to replicate the issue. 

I can report it as a bug, but since there are two ways to use it by following the order **bold** or double click on the word or selecting the sentence and clicking on the button B directly on the editor, it will probably not be fixed in the near future.

Suggest an answer