Field does not let me edit

Eleni Timini April 1, 2021

When migrated to cloud JIRA, I have a field where in the old JIRA it could let me edit (it was a Rich Text Field) but not, it pops Outlook instead as it contains email addresses.

The actual field is a Default Text Renderer. How can I prevent it from opening outlook instead of letting the user just edit it?

It's really annoying and is quite flimsy too.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

Yes, but it is still annoying as you have to make sure you don't catch the text already in the field. Also because is a long field and doesn't show on the whole screen, don't know why, it becomes VERY difficult to do this, i.e. you have to click at a certain pixel in order to get it edited.

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 1, 2021

Hi Eleni,

I am thinking this just might be a function of editing fields in the New Jira Issue View. Is it possible to hover over the field and then click to the right side of it in an open space without clicking directly on the email value? That should put you in an edit mode. 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 1, 2021

You might try moving the field to the center section  - hopefully, that will give you more room. 

I did this, hopefully that would have changed it, but it is still over the single line area.

I had a look and this particular Text field is set to a single line, I was hoping to check if by changing it to a multi-line field was going to make any difference, but not too sure if I can change the field type. It seems that I can't and is set on the creation of the custom field.

Like John Funk likes this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 1, 2021

You can't change the field type - you will have to create a new multiline field and then copy the values from the single line text field to the new field. But you should test it first with a value to see if it behaves you would like before copying over the existing values. 

ok. Thanks I will try this.

Eleni Timini April 12, 2021

Just to let you know that I tried this and it seems to have worked well.

Good thing it was a small project so didn't spent too much time on transferring data from old text field to the new multi-line one.

Like John Funk likes this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 13, 2021

Great - glad it is doing what you need. If this answered your question, can you click on the Accept Answer button above so we can close this one out? Thanks!

Suggest an answer