Does the Mobile Notifications Work Differently Than the Desktop Notifications?

Chris Pallé May 2, 2019

I have a user that gets different notifications on mobile and desktop. I have not been able to determine if there are only certain notifications that go through on different devices, but curious if there's anything I should be on the look out for. Thanks!

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Carlos Khatchikian
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 8, 2019

Chris, thanks for raising this request.

I can answer this question because I am the Team Lead of Jira Mobile so I know how everything works :)

There are 3 types of notifications today that as a user you receive:

•  Email Notifications
  • In-App Notifications : these are the ones that you can see in the notification Tab in the phone or in Web on the bottom left corner. 
  • Push Notifications: These are the ones that you get a push to your phone to be notified immediately. These are configured from the Jira Mobile App.

From these 3 types of notifications E-mail and In-App Notifications respect the Notifications Scheme. There shouldn't be any difference between these 2. 

Push Notifications behave differently and it is going through a different system today. The rationale of this was that users wanted a bit more granularity and the Notification Scheme is configured per project. That is why we introduced it. 

So you might have a chance that you configured a bit more granularity on push notifications but not in in-app so you might get a push that do not correlate with any other in-app notification. 

Like Carlos Khatchikian likes this
Carlos Khatchikian
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 14, 2020

Hi! I saw your question yesterday and already sent it to the relevant team.

Not only that, I pinged the team twice ;) 

If nobody answers I will try to sort it out.

Like Andy Heinzer likes this
1 vote
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
May 8, 2019

HI Chris,

In my experience, the notifications between the mobile app and my email inbox have not been different.  This would also appear to be confirmed by this thread as well https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/Can-I-edit-the-JIRA-mobile-app-notifications/qaq-p/633860

The mobile app should still abide by the notification scheme in use on that project. That said, I have noticed in my own use of both that I have created a lot of filters in gmail inbox to handle notifications from specific sources.  In turn, I'm not always as aware in my inbox of events in Jira as I tend to be in the mobile app, but that is because I created filters in my inbox to route/label some messages differently.    It could be that there is a perceived difference here because of the push aspect of mobile here tends to grab more attention of the action.

If your user is not convinced this is the case here, try using the Notification helper in Jira cloud to see if the site is configured currently to send a notification for an example event.  This should confirm that the system is setup to either send a notification or not for the specific event.

The only other thing I can think that might cause a discrepancy here is the the delivery of that email message.  Email relies on SMTP protocol for notifications.  The mobile app does not.  SMTP usually works without a hitch, but sometimes a sent message can get caught up either from Atlassian's side or from the end user's inbox side.  If you believe a notification should have been sent, but was not, for Cloud users, you can create a support request and provide your site URL and other details about the expected notification, such as recipient, issue key, date/time, and event (create issue, edit, comment, etc).  With this information our Cloud support team can at least investigate to determine if that message might have been caught up somehow or if it sent successfully.

I hope this helps.

Andy

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events