Do the created Process Template will affect the existing Project Workflow Scheme ?

RedM October 3, 2019

I've tried to clone a project template in our project using Self-Service Mode. I've used an issue type of Story which already exists in our previous project template. I've seen a same thread saying that "Please note that if you select an Issue Type that is already being used by any Process Template associated with the project, the selected Issue Type will be removed from that other Process Template so it can be added to your new copy. " 

link: https://wittified.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/DADMIN/pages/247267329/Using+Self-Service+Mode+-+2.1

I want to confirm if this would affect the other existing workflow in our project settings. With the said issue type as "Story" created from the process template. 

Would like to know how the process template relates on the project settings of Delegated Project Administration screen. 

Capture.PNG

Note: I only have access as Project Administrator. 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Avinash Bhagawati _Appfire_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 4, 2019

Hi ,

Thanks for raising your query through Atlassian Community and we have raised to support request https://wittified.atlassian.net/servicedesk/customer/portal/4/SUPPORT-2753 from our end and please sign up to portal to view the support request.

A Process Template is a set of configuration options that control the workflows, fields, issue types, and groups that can be applied to issue types of Project. Whenever you map issue type with new process template the configuration with issue type will changed according to the new process template.

With respect to your query, other workflow will not get affected by copying new template for Story issue type.

Please find below scenario based example for better understanding on this.

1. Let’s assume Story , Epic and Task are tagged to Process Template A and Bug is tagged to Process Template B
  2. Copy the Template A to new template called Template C and Map Story issue type to copied Template C and this action reflects all configurations associated with Story Issue type to be copied to Template C. Now if you go and check your project settings--> workflows page you will see same workflow for Story , Epic and Task issue types.
  3. Once if you make a change to the workflow in Template C which is created for Story Issue type you will see that workflow is copied and new workflow gets created for Story Issue type.
  4. Also configurations associated with Epic and Task remains same with Template A and their workflow is different from the Template C.
  5. Please let us know if you have any question(s) and happy to help you.

Thanks,

Avinash

RedM October 7, 2019

Hi Avinash,

Thank you for providing your inputs and understanding in my queries above. I appreciate it.

Can you please confirm the ff questions:

1.  Can issue type be present for both templates once copied? (for example for Template A, there is Epic, Story, Task, Sub-Task. Then I tried to clone the template to Template B and only retained the Epic and Story so for Template A I only have Task and Sub-Task?)

2. Is there a possible way to modify and add new status and transitions to create a different workflow having only access as Project Administrator? or I need access as Jira Administrator. 

Thank you, 
Red

Deleted user October 9, 2019

Hi @RedM ,

Please find the answered below for your questions.

*Question*:
1. Can issue type be present for both templates once copied? (for example for Template A, there is Epic, Story, Task, Sub-Task. Then I tried to clone the template to Template B and only retained the Epic and Story so for Template A I only have Task and Sub-Task?)

*Answer*: No, issue type will not be present in both the templates once you have copied the templates. The same issue type can not be present in multiple templets.

*Question*:
2. Is there a possible way to modify and add new status and transitions to create a different workflow having only access as Project Administrator? or I need access as Jira Administrator.

*Answer*: If Jira Administrators provide permission in the *Select who to Empower* page to modify the workflow to Project Administrator then the Project Administrator can be able to modify the workflow. That is they will be able to create a transition or Edit transition and they will not be able to add validators or post functions or conditions to that workflow.

Regards,
Kishore Kumar Gangavath

Like RedM likes this
RedM October 9, 2019

Thank you for answering above questions. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events