Create Linked Issue...what happened to it?

Ross Dammann February 13, 2019

JIRA 8.0 is now missing the 'Create Linked Issue' on the top right ... (dots). We use this all the time for easily copying an issue and at the same time, changing the issue type. now its gone. Any suggestions??

1 answer

1 vote
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 14, 2019

Hi Ross!

"Create Linked Issue" is still available in Jira 8. However, it's only available on Business and Service Desk projects. If you're trying to use the function on an issue in a Software project, you'll find the option is not in the menu.

A quick way to tell what type of project you're in is by looking at the little circle on the project's icon. Software projects have an orange code bracket <> icon.

image.png

Going into previous versions, I found this has been the case since at least Jira 7.2. Our documentation does state this, but it's not called out explicitly and I can see how it's very easy to overlook.

Hope that clears it up!

Cheers,
Daniel

Ross Dammann February 15, 2019

Hi Daniel,

We have several 'Business' projects and with 8.0 we only have 'Clone' and 'Move' as options ('Delete' of course).  However, upon clicking 'See the old view', the 'Linked Issue' reappears. 

Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 15, 2019

Ah - I see! It looks like you're on Jira Cloud, which is different than Jira Server. The Cloud platform doesn't have version numbers and everyone is essentially on the latest version always. Jira 8.0 refers to the Server deployment option.

The new issue view in Cloud can be a big shift from the "old" view. We have some reading which might be helpful:

As you found, you can click the "See the old view" link to get back to the old issue view. If you find the new view is more of a hinderance than a help to your current workflow, you can also click on your account avatar and go to the Personal settings page:

image.png

and on your Personal settings page, you can toggle off the new issue view.

As for the option being unavailable in the new issue view currently, all the advice I can offer at the moment is that the new issue view is constantly being improved based on user feedback. The recent updates page lets you know of all the changes that are rolling out - for example the new issue view was recently switched on for Business projects.

You can also use that Give feedback option in the menu to let our product teams know what is and isn't working for you in the new issue view.

Cheers,
Daniel

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events