Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you change the default status on new issues to something other than 'Backlog'?

Lesley Lattier May 11, 2020

I have two projects displayed on the same board. I would like the default status on one of the projects to be something other than 'Backlog' when entering a new issue. I'm fine with the other project defaulting to Backlog and going to the backlog. I just need the other project to bypass the backlog and default to 'In Progress'. Is there a way to do this and keep both projects on the same board?

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 12, 2020

This article explains how to change the status to which an issue is set during the Create Issue transition.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/configuring-the-initial-status-776636679.html

Lesley Lattier May 13, 2020

Thanks!

Lesley Lattier May 13, 2020

Article is a little outdated as far as the default labels, but I was able to get this adjusted. Thanks again!

0 votes
Karmandroid Singularity December 3, 2023

If it's only for purpose of "set the default status on new issues to something other than 'Backlog'" ,IMO the best practice is to use Automation rules in JIRA.

https://support.atlassian.com/cloud-automation/docs/create-and-edit-jira-automation-rules/

For brief:

1. Create new Automation Rules for specific issue type
  2. Make sure to apply it ONLY to your project, otherwise it will affect all projects
  3. Select action and condition fitting your need (i.e.: when issuetype "bug" created set it to "Selected for Development")

Using the Automation rules you won't need to duplicate the current Workflows and it will be very helpful in the long runs because you don't need to manage many Workflows.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 3, 2023

@Karmandroid Singularity 

With the changes to the packaging model for Automation Rules, where even rules scoped to a single project are counted towards the monthly limit, Automation Rules is no longer necessarily the best choice for solving all problems.

And in this particular case using a different workflow is a free solution that won't impact rule execution limits.

Karmandroid Singularity December 3, 2023

@Trudy Claspill 

owh, i have no clue that Automation rules has a monthly limit/bills.

This is what you refers to, right? 

https://support.atlassian.com/cloud-automation/docs/how-is-my-usage-calculated

Well, then unless you are using Enterprise version I don't think it's good idea to have Automation only for this usage. 

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 3, 2023

Yes, that document describes the execution limits to which I was referring.

Note that when the original question was asked in 2020 there was no limit on rules set to run against a single project. The new usage limits were implemented in November 2023.

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 11, 2020

Hi Lesley,

The initial status that the issue goes into at Create is dependent on the workflow. You would have to use two different workflows for the projects, one with a Create going to Backlog and the other going to a different status. 

Then on the board, you just put both of those statuses in the Backlog - or just one. 

Your filter for the board should include both projects. Something like: 

Project in (ABC, DEF)

Lesley Lattier May 11, 2020

Thanks ... the problem though is that I can't get the Create to be anything other than Backlog. I've created the new workflow and for the life of me can't figure out how to alter the Create part of it.

dhughes November 12, 2020

I have a similar issue where my workflow transitions newly created task/issues into To Do status but they still go to the backlog rather than the project board.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 12, 2020

@dhughes 

Are you using a Classic project or Next Gen project?

Are you using a Scrum board or Kanban board?

Is that status to which your issues are set in the Creation transition mapped to a column that appears in your board?

I am using a Next Gen project with I believe a Kanban board (not sure how to tell). The new issue/task is created in VS Code using the Jira Extension. When I create the new task it has the correct status but is only visible on the web view of our Jira account in the project's backlog, and not the board, unless I physically move it.

Also, yes, the To Do status is mapped to a column in the project board. That is why I assumed creating the task with that status would allow it to appear in the board by default and not the backlog.

Thank you for any insights...

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 12, 2020

@dhughes 

I think your problem is not the same as the original thread here, in that the original thread is for a user using a Classic project, and about modify the initial status of an issue during the Create transition. In her case Backlog was an issue status.

Since you are using a Next Gen project, Backlog is not an initial status but rather a separate attribute for the issue, which is either in the Backlog or moved to the Board. In both cases the Status of the issue can still be To Do.

You would determine if you're using a scrum board or kanban board by looking at the Project Settings > Features and seeing if Sprint feature is on (scrum board) or off (kanban board).

Assuming that you are using a Kanban board (Sprints feature is off) and you have turned the Backlog feature on, then there is a separate action to move an issue from the Backlog to the board. I'm afraid I don't know if that is accessible through the JIRA extension, as we don't create issues that way. Hopefully that gives you an additional clue in your search for an answer.

There are a few posts here about trying to use Automation to move the issues, but folks have been unsuccessful with that so far from the posts I've found.

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Next-gen-questions/automatically-move-issue-from-the-backlog-to-the-board-when-the/qaq-p/1130401

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Marketplace-Apps-Integrations/auto-move-from-backlog-to-a-board-column/qaq-p/1212665

dhughes November 13, 2020

Thank you @Trudy Claspill I agree that it does not appear with our Kanban version of a Next Gen project that changing the workflow to default new TO DO issues to the Board is currently possible. I'll either manually move issues or first create them in the board. 

Thank you.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events