Can we automatically update a custom field on a issue which is being linked from another issue

M Vijay Kumar May 9, 2019

Hi Team, 

We are having Technical Specific Design (TSD's) in Jira which is having custom field called release, when we link Tasks we need that release to be automatically updated for that Tasks, once done we also want to make that field non editable.

Let me know if this can achieved through any plug-ins?

Thanks,

Vijay 

1 answer

0 votes
Suhas P
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 9, 2019

Where is the value for Release field coming from? task you linked? if I understood it correctly, you are linking a Task to another issue and upon linking, you want to update the release field to be updated with its value from linked issue? Is that what it is? 

Do you have script runner or Jira Workflow toolbox plugin or any other scripting plugin?

Easiest way is to link the Task on a transition and then on the postfunction you can put a script on the postfunction that will update the value of the Custom field. 

Jira workflow toolbox plugin has build-in postfunctions that update the fields on linked issue.

M Vijay Kumar May 9, 2019

TSD is having release value , yes you are right. I need TSD release value should be mirrored on Task when they link.

I did get that Post function, did not get this 'link the Task on a transition', does this require any plug-in as I am unable to see in the default postfunctions as it is Jira On premise version.

Thanks,

Vijay 

Suhas P
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 13, 2019

I don't think there is any post function by default allows that. As I said you have go for some plugin either something like jira workflow Toolbox,  bob swift Create on Transition or script runner.

M Vijay Kumar May 13, 2019

Agreed. I would like with Script runner, did not see any docs or links referencing the same. Do you have any info ?

Thanks,

Vijay 

Fidel Castro May 14, 2019

Hi @M Vijay Kumar ,

Maybe you could use Calculated Date-Time Field from JIRA Workflow Toolbox in your tasks' view screen. You could create a Calculated Date-Time Field called Mirrored Release which automatically mirrors the value of the main linked issue. This field is not editable.

You should use a configuration like this one:

mirrored_release.png

I'm assuming that Release field is a Date Picker field, but we can this same solution with any other type of field.

The expression used in this example is:

first(fieldValue({nnnnn}, linkedIssues()))

replacing nnnnn with the field code of Release. We can also select a particular linked issue using any filtering criteria. If you need help for doing it, give me more details, and I will give you the exact configuration required.

Regards,

Fidel

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events