Can the attachments be stored automatically on a local shared drive instead of JIRA cloud?

Prima Creel September 2, 2021

We attach images and docs for another team. Is there a way those attachments can automatically store with the Task name into a shared drive locally in our system? I am assuming they are currently stored on a cloud somewhere, which creates an extra step. I need them locally stored.  

2 answers

0 votes
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 7, 2021

Hi @Prima Creel

not sure if I am getting the full use case.

In case I understood you correctly you would like to have attachments which reside in Jira Cloud (simply put attachments to an issue) on a local disk for further usage of some kind.

In case you are fine with some coding work and investigation on how the pieces puzzle together you could use API access - here one can read downloading attachments would be possible.

Adding to what Nic already said there is no out of the box solution for what you are intending to implement, also I am not sure if the above mentioned approach would work well (you would need to check on a regular basis for newly created issues, check them for potentially existing attachments and then download ... sounds like much effort).

Regards,
Daniel

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 2, 2021

No.  The point of Cloud is it is a service.  Attachments stored on issues is one of the functions of that service.  There's no point storing them elsewhere.

Let's have another look at the question - why do you think you want the files held elsewhere?  What problem are you trying to solve?

(bear in mind you wouldn't be able to change, add or remove files stored elsewhere without breaking Jira)

Prima Creel September 3, 2021

We host some of these images for our website. Our CMS needs to be able to find the images to display on the site.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 3, 2021

Ok, Jira is not intended to be used as a file store or document repository, but if you're using it for that, there's no harm, just no mechanism for using it that way.

You will either need to scrape the attachments from the issues to a copy that your CMS can reference, or ask your CMS to reach into Jira for the attachments directly.

Suggest an answer