Can anyone help with my complicated workflow?

Fred Kirby August 28, 2019

Hi all,

I am hoping to use a combination of Scrum and Kanban boards within Jira to manage work coming through. The dev team will be working in Scrum, with 'To Do', ->'In Progress' ->'Ready for Peer Review' -> 'Peer Review in Progress' -> 'Ready for Functional Testing' all available within the Scrum board. Any work which passes the functional testing, I want to consider as 'DONE' in terms of this sprint. - The team have developed it correctly according to the requirements.

However, after this Scrum board there is a Kanban board which manages the UAT testing, approvals and any (smaller) BAU work which can be done.

This all works well, but the problem I can't work out is, if work is completed in the Scrum, it passes functional testing, but is then rejected at any of the other statuses, I want it to be available in the Backlog for the next sprint, but still seen as 'done' for reporting etc. of the sprint. Is that possible? I think an alternative would be to raise a new ticket for what changes are needed at the UAT stage, which would go on the Backlog.

Diagram below if that makes any sense.

Thanks

Transformation & BAU workflow.png

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Marianne Miller
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 28, 2019

Hi Fred,

Welcome to Jira! I think you've found a really interesting way to try to manage Scrumban!

I totally understand what you are trying to do here, but I think you're on the right track with your last statement.  The biggest thing you have to consider for this is your teams "Definition of Done".  According to what you stated, it's done after it passes Functional testing, but this doesn't necessarily mean it's ready to deploy.   Since quality is built into Agile, it really has to be fully deployable before it is complete.  But if your Scrum team is DONE and it's has bugs, you wouldn't want to deploy it, even if there is going to be rework, so it's not really Done.  

How do you track your Acceptance Criteria and is it clear enough for someone to accept and approve?  If this is the case, then I think anything ELSE would be a new ticket, but it has to meet all the quality checks in order to meet Done.

Our team actually created a field for Acceptance Criteria and all members weigh in on what must be complete for our PO to accept it.  Things can be Done by this DoD, and queued to deploy at a later scheduled time.  In your case, the additional work through BAU may be new tickets to thoroughly inspect the functionality, but your Scrum team still doesn't have releasable functionality.  

here are a few good articles on this:

https://www.scrum.org/resources/blog/walking-through-definition-done

https://medium.com/@dannysmith/the-definition-of-done-what-does-done-actually-mean-ef1e5520e153

Fred Kirby August 29, 2019

Hi,

Thanks so much for the response. As I suspected, this was sort of one of those issues where I came to the answer as I wrote my question.

I think you're absolutely right that I need to review our DoD and Acceptance Criteria with the above plan, but I think this will work.

Thanks again and thanks for the resources - they're really helpful!

Thanks,
Fred

Like Marianne Miller likes this

Suggest an answer