Can I do a search issues per amount of labels?

Kitty July 8, 2019

We give requests labels per client who have requested them and would like to sort the issues (in search) with for instances all issues with three of more labels connected to it. 

We use next gen boards for this project. 

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 9, 2019

Hi Kitty,

There is not any options that I am aware of that can accomplish counting the number of labels on an issue in Jira cloud nore are there any add-ons that I am aware of in cloud that can do this, there is an add-on related workaround for Jira Server detailed 'At this link', but again nothing I can locate for Cloud and the mentioned add-on only works in Jira Server.

External data manipulation is probably you best approach, exporting the data to  a CSV and using an external spreadsheet such as Excell, or Open Office and doing counts on the label field would be one possibility.  You could also leverage Jira Cloud for Sheets and Google Docs to pull data into a sheet adhoc for data manipulation and reporting.

I just tested this out in Google Sheets and using the following equation did the trick, column "I" being the labels column in my exe:

=len(I1)-len(SUBSTITUTE(I1,";",""))+1

Screen Shot 2019-07-09 at 2.50.56 PM.png

But alternatives short of designing a custom add-on to do this the closest you could get would be a break down on the number is issues that are in a specific label as discussed 'in this thread'.

While there is not a way to get details on number of labels on a single issue there are methods and tools that extend the ability of Jira to look for issues with a specific label such as what is discussed 'in this thread'

Regards,
Earl

0 votes
Olga Rusnak
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 30, 2020

Hi @Kitty

As an alternative, I would suggest pulling data from Jira to Google Sheets (set up data refreshes for every hour). You can use Coupler.io add-on for it. 

To upload the data that has a certain Label, you can identify it as part of the JQL (when setting up this type of Jira importer in Coupler.io), for example, label = "data_analytics"

Let me know if this alternative sounds interesting!

Suggest an answer