Can I associate a workflow with custom field value?

Pete P
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 2, 2021

I have a custom field called "Change Type" with 4 levels as values (Level 1, Level 2, etc.).  The values are set through automation based on the input from two other custom fields. 

How can I associate a separate workflow to each of the Level values of my custom field?

Change Type

Level 1: Workflow A

Level 2: Workflow B

Level 3: Workflow C

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 2, 2021

Hi Pete - The quick answer is that you can't. Workflows are exclusively associated with Issue Types. So you would have to change the value of the Issue Type, but that can only be done by a Move if the issue types are associated with different workflows. 

Pete P
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 2, 2021

@John Funk , thanks I was afraid of that...   So I guess I'll have to use one workflow and somehow branch it based on the value of the field?

Pete P
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 2, 2021

@John Funk  are you aware of any apps that would  let me do this "move" to another issue type automatically on a transition? 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 2, 2021

"Move" is not a trivial change of type, unless the two types have the same configuration.  The configuration that matters includes the workflow.

There are some apps that can change issue type, but you have to do a lot of work replicating the migration processes within them, especially when the workflows are different. 

I do not think this is the answer to your problem, I think you'll have to go with the branching workflow, controlled by conditions.

Pete P
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 2, 2021

Thanks @Nic Brough -Adaptavist-  and @John Funk for the feedback!

Like John Funk likes this
Pete P
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 3, 2021

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- ,  @John Funk    FYI Bob Swift responded back with a positive.  I don't know if you will be able to view this video or not due to permissions but here is link demoing the process.  

"Yes, you can change the issue type based on the custom field value through a post function upon issue transition.
Once the issue gets transitioned to another, based on the custom field value the issue type is changing, please refer to the below Snagit video for the same."

uot-different-transitions.mp4 

So I will experiment with it today and see what happens.  Since my custom field is calculated prior to creation of the issue possibly I won't have much to do with updating statuses etc.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 3, 2021

Hey Pete - I can't access the video. But I still think it depends on whether the the issue type you are changing to uses the same workflow as the current value of the issue type. Yes, you can change those with no problem. 

But if they are different, then I am pretty positive that it will take a Move function. You might ask Bob the more pointed question as such. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 3, 2021

mmm, I'd worry about that too.   I can't access the video either, but I'd like to, as I'd want to see how it handles the cases where issue configs are different (especially workflow)

Suggest an answer