Best Practice for Fix Version?

SBJ May 28, 2018

Hi,

I'm currently processing issues in Jira and I'm working on a story specifically. This story contains mostly just (sub-)tasks and essentially no bugs, considering it is a new project.

There is this field named Fix Version/s and I mostly interpret this as a bug-related field.

However, would it also be considered the norm to also use this for new projects with no bug-type issues? For instance, setting the Fix Version/s to 1.0 for the very first release? Or would it be better to just not insert a value for this field at all, unless facing a bug-type issue?

3 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 28, 2018

Hello @SBJ

FixVersion is a very important Jira field for new & existing projects both. Basically, your whole release management (if done via Jira) depends on this field. In the project admin section, you can release / archive version thus manage your releases. Using this field everyone in the project team is on the same page in terms of release deadlines and previous releases thus this field is critical. 

Please read this document - https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira064/managing-versions-720412374.html

And this -https://www.atlassian.com/blog/jira-software/jira-release-management-steps

SBJ May 28, 2018

Hello @Tarun Sapra

Thank you for the clarification! I'll apply this approach right away.

Like # people like this
3 votes
nguyen.hung December 17, 2018

I know this field is important, but the name fixVersion does not fit for Agile Epic/Story usecase.

I'm looking forward to be able to rename or use another version field, something like Target version for ex.

Moses Thomas
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 31, 2018

@nguyen.hungSo you can  create a custom field with  drop down list of versions ,  but then  this field  will not be the same as  version(fix version/ affected version) which are  system fields. and are linked to  Version in JIRA.

Like Keith Mcdowell likes this
spryce February 1, 2021

Totally agree. It's now "Fix Versions" which just makes it more confusing. 

Also why Fix? Is everything a bug?

Like Kim Taylor likes this
Ephraim Washington Laidley Jr February 18, 2021

I think it has more to do with the "Legacy" of the tool, having started as a ticket system originally (like how all the items are "issue types".)

Ultimately, 'Fix Versions' represents "Releases" to help differentiate organize, report and track based on date of release.

Like Christine Foley likes this
Hung Nguyen February 18, 2021

We all understand that the names (fixVersion, issue etc) are all from the ticket system.

And we also know that using a custom field is not a satisfactory solution to replace important system fields like fixVersion (as well as other like components, priority)

What I am asking for is an enhancement to rename these fields or give them an alias to show them up more accurately to the cases

Like # people like this
Anita Budak July 14, 2023

yes in my organisation I need to constantly educate and clarify the purpose of that field. That is a huge waste. people also were using custom  fields instead of this powerful field

Like kimritaylor likes this
kimritaylor August 7, 2023

Agree with Hung and Anita here

3 votes
Moses Thomas
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 28, 2018

@You can  use  issutype for example (Epic,story task, subtask...)  and use  fix version/s

and add your fix version/s list(1.0, 2,0 and so on) for the  field fix version/s

for Bug issue type:  we have another  system field for  version( Affects version/s)  you  can use it in the bug  screen.

I think this is best  practice.

Best!

SBJ May 28, 2018

Thank you for your input; it is much appreciated!

Suggest an answer