Approval process vs specific fields

Magda Milkowska May 15, 2019

Is there a way we might be able to take an approval form (we do use specific  approval forms in our company) and incorporate the fields into the JIRA platform. I know Jira allows you to add custom fields but not sure how to incorporate this in here. What would be great if we could have the fields in JIRA and simply assign to different managers for approval and eliminate the paper forms. 

Thank you.

Magda

2 answers

0 votes

Great! If I already have an idea on what needs to be included (for example Submitter, Description or Request, Decision, etc.) how do I get started? Where do I need to go in Jira to add fields like that? 

Dave Theodore [Coyote Creek Consulting]
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 15, 2019

You'll either need to read over the docs or experiment in order to get more comfortable administering Jira.  Just a piece of advice, though: Keep it simple! It's easy to get in to the mode of thinking that you need to address every small detail in your process, and the result is that it's a hassle for people to use.

Pro-tip on searching Atlassian documentation: Use Google. Search for things like "jira add custom field" "jira crete screen" etc

Here are some docs for you to read over:

That will hopefully get you started.  Good luck!

What about 3rd party Apps  (of course Jira compatible) that you can install for this purpose.  Which one would you recommend? 

Lachlan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 28, 2019

Hi @Magda Milkowska 

I think a great solution to this would be our plugin ProForma. It is fully compatible with Jira, and removes a huge amount of work and headaches that goes with configuring custom Jira fields. 

If you'd like you can evaluate us for free using ProForma Lite

0 votes
Dave Theodore [Coyote Creek Consulting]
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 15, 2019

We do this quite a bit for clients, and Jira is an excellent platform for this sort of thing. 

If all you want to do is make an electronic version of the form, you will need to create Custom Fields, Screens and Screen Schemes to your requirements.  It's pretty straightforward, but you will need to put some thought in to what types of fields to use and how to lay your screens out.  

Jira's Workflow has a lot of power that you can use, as well.  You can set it up to match your process flow. There are 3rd party Apps that you can install, as well. They will extend Jira's functionality to do pretty much anything you can imagine. 

Suggest an answer