6.3 Upgrade to Cloud --

Paul Russell April 6, 2020

Hello,

i went through alot of the posts here but wanted to validate my understanding and limitations.

- To get from premise to cloud we are going to need 7.6 to use any migration tools (e.g. JCMA)

- my problem is we have Server core 6.3 on premise.  it is out of support so we don't have an option right now to get a free upgrade to 7.6. so support this.

What options do we have to drizzle data from this legacy instance so we can import it without having to pay another premise server license to get the ugpade?  

I looked at using "configuration manager for jira" add in but it wont install (we looked at the legacy version which was version relative). 

I am sure we can recreate all the instance data objects (users, groups, projects and re-assign).

thanks for any help or insight.

1 answer

0 votes
Matt Doar
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 6, 2020

That version is pretty old! I think the way to go is to set up Jira Cloud as you really want it, and tell people to start using it. Make the old Jira instance read-only for most projects. After six months consider shutting the old instance down. The main downside is that reports are messed up for a few months. This problem is usually because an organization has not invested in keeping Jira to date, which is fine until they want to move to Cloud

Paul Russell April 6, 2020

the deprecation is part of the plan, but some projects need to come over … was trying to find a minimized solution here to get those which are active moved over.

Seems like one option is to create the new project, move some backlog issues over to a new sprint, leave the archive on the prem solution and then deprecate.

Any suggestion on a good export / import option which can minimize mapping onto the new project.  I am looking at export tracker right now which seems to get a good issues dump but field mapping is a problem, likely due to different versions of the agile template used previously.

Suggest an answer