Workflow Validation to send issues down specific path of workflow

Aaron Geister
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 5, 2020

I have a new change management workflow that was given to me to build. It has three sections or paths to flow from. I want to use validation to move specific issues down the workflow. Is this possible to do this without an add on or automation with in the workflow?

1 comment

Benjamin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 5, 2020

@Aaron Geister - The next step in the workflow is driven by your transition. Validation is used to just validate your issue that it has meet some rules to make it to the next status in your workflow. 

Two ideas out of the box:

1. Allow the end user to chose where the change management goes by creating 3 transition to choose from. 

or 

2. Create 3 different change management issues if they are completely 3 different kinds of workflows. 

Aaron Geister
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 7, 2020

This is what I was trying to tell my team but they want this big all in one workflow so they will have to choose to which transition each issue type will flow. Thanks for your help.

Benjamin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 7, 2020

@Aaron Geister - You welcome. That is possible out of the box. Not recommended. Let's say you are open or todo state as your starting state. You can add however many transition you want to go through another path. 

For example, for simplicity, you can have a transition to go to next status A1 and another to B1 and and another too C1. 

Aaron Geister
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 8, 2020

@Benjamin Yes exactly what I have been building.  Here is a look to what workflow was given to me to build for change management. I have never built one so big as to me straight to the point would be better but this is what the change managemen process group wants. 

image.png

Benjamin
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 8, 2020

As long as it's agreed by the key stakeholders as the solution and meets their requirements, then move forward. The good thing is Jira allows the flexibility. However, just be aware of the maintenance. There's probably some areas to simplify as possible like two validate and implementation state. 

Aaron Geister
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 11, 2020

I agree with you and I have already compressed what they wanted and thought we could even compress it more. 

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events