Sprint in openSprints() also displays closed sprint associated to issues in JQL query results

Lucy Cornish July 28, 2019

i'm using Sprint in openSprints()  in my JQL filter but as some of the stories in my current sprint were carried over from the previous sprint,  there are multiple sprint names displayed in the sprint column in the filter results. This seems like a bug as it should only be returning current sprint. Any suggestions?

3 comments

Milan Chheda [INFOSYSTA]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 29, 2019

If a certain story was in previous and now carried over to current sprint or in multiple sprints, it will always be shown in results for those sprints. So when you view an issue, it would show multiple sprint names against it because it was carried over across multiple sprints. And that's not a bug. 

Think of it this way, I need to know how many issues were not completed in a given sprint and were carried over to next sprints, or issues that took multiple sprints to complete. So the sprint field in an issue would show all the sprints that the particular issue was part of. 

Warren
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 29, 2019

Hi @Lucy Cornish 

No I believe that this is correct. You need to separate out the query from what is shown in each column.

Your query - you're asking it to list every issue that is in an open sprint, which it is doing.

Then, what are you showing in the columns - for the sprint column, it will correctly list all sprints that an issue has been in.

So I believe that this is the correct behaviour

Lucy Cornish July 29, 2019

thanks. Is it possible to just show the active sprint?

Like Russell Green likes this
Warren
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 29, 2019

Hi @Lucy Cornish 

If an issue is in this list, you know that it is in the active sprint, but the info in the "Sprint" column will always show all sprints it's been in.

What are you trying to achieve that this is stopping you from doing? Or, why is that a problem for you? I'm trying to understand where your concern / question is coming from

Russell Green April 25, 2023

I have the same / similar issue. When querying issues and showing the Sprint column, it shows the active Sprint (e.g. Sprint_3) but also ALL closed Sprints:

Issue    Sprint
---------------
I-1234 sprint_3
I-1235 sprint_2, sprint_3
I-1236 sprint_1, sprint_2, sprint_3

What I would like to see only "sprint_3" i.e. the active Sprint. Any idea?

K Robin Taylor
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 8, 2024

It's necessary to limit it to one sprint if you are using it for reporting.  If the results show both sprints, the export creates an extra column to show the additional sprint.  If you have an automated process to use that export to create a report of points by person by sprint, it will throw it off when there are multiple columns of the same "field".  So, is there a way to tell jira to only include the "max" sprint for the issue?

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events