Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Permission Scheme for external users - best practices

betigolo February 19, 2020

Hi,
I'm raising this discussion to collect your feedback about a Permission Scheme scenario.

Statements:
- Default Jira Projects are visible to everyone inside the company.
- Some Projects have proper permission scheme due to security and sensitive information (keep this out of the challenge).

Demand:
- We need to have the rule to add and remove external users to Jira Projects.

Challenge:
Build a Permission scheme to face a demand need to have several contractors working in JIRA. One contractor should see only the Jira project required and must not see any other Jira project.

This is a challenge to share your knowledge and experience.

I have my solution implemented and I will share here in a few days...
Let the game begin...

1 comment

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 15, 2020

Hi,
this sounds like a familiar use case that I come across often.

I also know configurations where Jira projects are open for everyone inside the company but not to external staff.

In many cases that I have seen a configuration is used where external staff reporters can see their issues they have raised (utilizing 'Browse Permission').

Additionally on some issues they are put to watchers.

Speaking of project configuration there is always a role for Internal Users and one for External Users. There is also a Members Role.

In case the external user is especially trustworthy he can be put to Members Role for some specific projects. This needs approval by a higher management level (and probably HR, too).

Technically speaking the external staff users are managed by LDAP. They are all in a special "external staff" group. The configuration inside Jira relies on the default settings we crafted. Of course, like described in the beginning of this post, Project Admins are able to fine-tune the permissions for special cases.

Apart from that we assured by reviewing the Permission Schemes that external staff users are not able to promote other external staff users (for example an internal staff member must add another external staff member to watchers if one should be added to the list).
Also some others restrictions are in place, for example the one that external staff members are not allowed to delete comments whereas internal staff members are allowed to do so.
This is more the cherry on the top - it might not be needed in every use case scenario.

Cheers,
Daniel

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events