Jira for marketing, transition subtasks based on other subtasks

Az April 7, 2021

We are a digital marketing / technology agency. We have been using JIRA on the tech side for years. However we now want to use it for the marketing team as well. 

On the marketing side there are recurring tasks with clear workflows. So for example, we run many email campaigns. These campaigns would have the following steps 

1) Writing, Editing ,Legal approval

2) Creative

3) Development

4) Integration (with marketing automation)

For each campaign there will be a general release date, e.g. Jun 5, 2020. And based on that we will come up with a due-date for each step in the process. So we may have writing due 3 weeks before, creative 2 weeks before, development 1 week before.

Our requirements are the same as most marketing agencies I would imagine: 

1) To be able to template these tasks so them when we have new campaigns we can easily at once create all the intermediate steps, we are thinking of using https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1219112/easy-templates-for-jira-issues?hosting=server&tab=overview to create templates 

2) To update the steps based on where the task is, so when writing is done, the creative task should transition from 'created' to 'to-do'

3) To update the due date of sub-tasks based on other task. For example, if something gets stuck in legal review, and so due date moves from jun 5, 2020 to a week alter jun 12, 2020. We would want the dates of each of the other sub-tasks to move as well

4) To have visibility on how much work there is coming up and for which people. This is what stops us from using a single tasks with a long workflow, because in that case we wouldn't be able to say that designer X has this many tasks coming next week. We want to use a calendar plugin which would display this data so we can ensure our employees have enough work to do in any given day/week

I believe our needs are not super complicated but I'm not able to find a easy solution to this. We have spoken to Scriptrunner and the rep didn't give us a clear way forward. 

I'm sure other companies using JIRA must have solved this problem however, so I'm looking forward to hearing how

1 comment

Jane Yeoh
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 8, 2021

Hi Az,

My name is Jane and I'm a product manager on the Jira Work Management team at Atlassian. I'd love to speak to you about how we might be able to help you here. 

In a nutshell, Jira Work Management is the next generation of Jira Core, redesigned and reimagined to accelerate the agility of business teams. It’s friendly, fast, and intuitive, yet it keeps all the best Jira features that you know and love. We have introduced new ways of visualising your work, including a calendar view to help you focus on what is coming up next - which means you may not need a separate plugin for this.

Along with Jira Automation, we might be able to help you with exactly what you need here. 

Let me know if this is something you'd like more information on. 

Cheers,
Jane

Az April 9, 2021

Hi Jane,

Will that be available for JIRA Server? 

Jane Yeoh
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 11, 2021

Hi Az,

I do apologise for not clarifying earlier - Jira Work Management is only available as a Cloud product.

Az April 12, 2021

I see, is there a plan to release it for server or no? Are there any other alternative avenues you recommend? 

We do not plan to transition from server to cloud

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events