How to fix integrity check errors through integrity check addon

bethe_first February 25, 2020

when I worked with integrity check errors through integrity check addon.

I found totally 6 different type of errors.

Missing object - boards, custom fields and filters, sprints

duplicate object - boards, custom fields and filters, sprints

unknown error - 

inconsistency error -

how to fix boards and filters errors.

can i delete directly or do i need to ping the lead of the boards and filters.

please suggest to fix all these 1700 errors.

1 comment

Ismael Jimoh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 26, 2020

Which add-on is this?

The sounds of it, I’ll think it’s the one from configuration manager. If my guess is correct then you need to fix this by hand as there is no way it can fix all.

Cheers

bethe_first February 26, 2020

Yes it's from configuration manager, integrity check for Jira.

My question here is can I get a navigation to fix and brief explaination about error cause. 

Just one example each to fix for all different types of errors.

As mentioned above.

Ismael Jimoh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 26, 2020

@bethe_first  this is hard to suggest a solution without seeing the errors.

Here is how I normally work with it:

1. Run integrity check for filters only. Why? Because filters are used in boards and dashboards and it is usually the cause of most errors.
  2. The errors are each listed so you can click on them for a bit more details(not all become readily fixable)
    1. Say the error is a project key appearing by ID, the potential cause is that the user(You) do not have the right permission to the project. 
    2. Say the error is a field is added to the gadget and the fields value is no longer available then you will need to open the filter and remove the wrong value then save again.
    3. Alternatively, if the filter is no longer used, you can just delete it.
  3. Often times you will see repeated trends for errors, try and fix all errors that have the same root cause at a time.
  4. Once done with fixing the errors for filters, I move to boards.
  5. Decide if the board is needed or not. If not delete it.
    1. You may run into boards that are private, reach out to the board owner to fix it else they should grant you the right access.
  6. After you are done with boards, move to fixing dashboards and systems. 

This way of fixing it allows you collate all similar errors at a time, you do not get overwhelmed by the amount of errors fixing things as you go.

Once you are done fixing all errors, make sure you reindex JIRA. To be honest, you may need to go into the DB to fix some errors(for example the owner of the filter left the company and the filter is private, there is no way you can access this).

Due to the variety of potential errors there is no one fix all and you will need to create the solutions as you proceed.

My question though is why are you running the integrity checker on Configuration Manager. It is great to have no doubt but I will use this only when migrating/merge or if we are intending to clean up the server (which are very large projects where dedicated time can be afforded).

Hope this helps a bit.

bethe_first February 26, 2020

Thankyou for explaination,

We want to take clean backup snapshots. And this is the first task I got assigned in my new organisation. 

Ismael Jimoh
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 27, 2020

If a clean backup is the aim then going over this one at a time may be the only way. I do not believe taking a backup as is would impact restoration, the problem definitely will be once restored, the problems will still be there.

With the numbers you mentioned, it could take a while.

As suggested, draw up a report of this for the management highlighting all that needs to be done and let them provide you feedback on if this needs to all be fixed or not. Maybe also get an estimate of how long they can afford to wait for the clean backup.

Cheers.

bethe_first February 27, 2020

Thankyou for the reply 😊. And for useful information. Can you please accept my connection request in LinkedIn. So that I can share few pics of errors . As a sample.

Ismael Jimoh
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 28, 2020

I just had a look at LinkedIn but I don't see an invite.

Search for Ismael Jimoh (ensure it is Atlassian Consultant), I don't mind helping.

Cheers.

bethe_first February 28, 2020

My name in linked will be Anjan Kumar,  Jira administrator.

Now I send you reinvitation in LinkedIn. Please check and accept.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events