Adding default content in description field

Mohammed Abdulrahim June 9, 2020

Hi there,

I want to know if it's possible to add custom content/text and that text will load automatically in the description field when I click on create issue button.

The reason behind that, we need to make such a template for the reporter to fill the issue and to meet DoR.

Please check this attachment https://prnt.sc/swke6b to see what I mean.

Any suggestions to solve my issue are welcome 

2 comments

Stephen Crandell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 9, 2020

@Mohammed Abdulrahim Do you have Script Runner in your instance? You can use it to set up a Behavior or Script Fragment to achieve what you are trying to do. 

A non add-on option is to update the Field Configuration for your project to add a description to the field where you could place the helpful "tooltips" to filling out the field.

Thanks @Stephen Crandell I will check that and let you know if it works

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 9, 2020

Hi Moe - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Is the content dynamic? Or the same information each time?

@John Funk Same information each time and reporter can edit them manually. 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 9, 2020

The problem comes in that if you set the content at create, it will override anything that the reporter typed in during the create process. The reporter would be able to edit it after they create it though.

If that is okay, you can create a post function on the Create transition of the workflow to set the field value. 

Or you could create an Automation For Jira rule that sets the value of the Description field after the issue is created. The user would need to do a physical refresh of the screen to see it immediately after the create in that case. 

Mohammed Abdulrahim June 10, 2020

The content is editorial and the reporter can delete/change it while writing the issue. but what I'm looking for is something with no need to refresh. so reporter click on create button then the default content will be shown in the description field

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 10, 2020

Sounds like you will need ScriptRunner for that. 

Mohamed Ramadan April 14, 2022

Automation for Jira can do this by edit , add or delete text

Also can copy text from field to field

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events