Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updating of Jira Service Management Tick

Vanessa Becker May 21, 2021

Hello admins!

We have a Jira Service Management and Jira Software instance.

We have created a rule that when tickets are assigned to a certain status on Service Management it is now logged on the backlog of the Jira Software instance for a developer to pick up. The status assigned on the Jira Software instance is New.

What is the best way to keep the Jira Service Management team updated when the developer assigns the ticket to an in progress status. (So they can inform the client it is being worked on) .  They are not really keen on receiving notifications. Is there another way you can update the ticket on the Service Desk component maybe in the comments section to show the ticket has been moved into In progress)?

5 answers

5 accepted

Suggest an answer

0 votes
Answer accepted
Sarah Baker June 3, 2021

We have set up a couple of global rules to manage 'blocked' tickets, and this is my favourite:

comment to assignee.PNG

0 votes
Answer accepted
Melissa Ingle May 21, 2021

Hi Vanessa!  We do a combination of everything mentioned, as well. I created a global looping transition on the workflow in my JSM project that has a post function that copies the issue to the software project and links the two issues. 

Because they are linked, I am able to trigger a handful of automations to keep statuses in sync, update fields and copy comments over, if needed.

Looping transition:

Looping Transition 2.jpg

Looping Transition.jpg

Automation syncing statuses:

(The software project has a more complex workflow, so multiple statuses map to one JSM status).

Sync Status Automation.jpg

Tereza Červinková May 23, 2021

Hello Melissa, I just want to ask -  doesn't this automation trigger every time you move the original issue to one of the statuses mentioned? I mean it triggers even when the linked issue already is in Work in progress?

Just a hint that this could slow your instance a bit (not one automation, but many similar) and maybe more conditions are needed.

Have a lovely day!

Krystal Thompson May 25, 2021

We also do a combination. The problem I'm running into is getting duplicates in reporting. I get the ticket from Service Desk and project boards. Is there a way to mitigate- that is easy for upper mgmt?

Melissa Ingle May 25, 2021

The only way I can think of to remove the duplicate is to filter out one of the projects based on the link type.

issueLinkType != "managed by software project issue"

0 votes
Answer accepted
Keith Jones
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 21, 2021

We do something similar as well, except that we clone and move a copy to the software project, linking them together. That way we can always see the status in the service ticket for the linked development issue. And as Kathi noted, you can include updates in your automation. 

Thank you for your feedback :-)

0 votes
Answer accepted
Kathi Paquet
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 21, 2021

Yes, I used the Automation rule but I have mine set up a bit different.

When the Agent progress to Provisioning, there is a rule  based off a custom field (Support Group) to create an issue in the corresponding JIRA Project and link the issues.  Then I have another rule that when the linked issue (Jira Project) moves to "In Progress", it automatically moves the Service Desk Ticket to In Progress which triggers a comment.  

There are many ways to accomplish this.

Thank you - will it be possible to provide me with an example of the below?

Then I have another rule that when the linked issue (Jira Project) moves to "In Progress", it automatically moves the Service Desk Ticket to In Progress which triggers a comment.  

Thanks!

Kathi Paquet
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 24, 2021

The rule is in the Legacy Automation for it has not been migrated.   In the "If these match" ensure you have the link type matching the link you use.UpdateJiraIssue.png

Vanessa Becker May 25, 2021

Thank you Kathi

0 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 21, 2021

Hi Vanessa - Yes, you should be able to add a comment to the JSM ticket using Automation For Jira. I assume there is some type of linkage between the tickets? If so, what is that linkage? 

Hi John

See below:image.png

Like Kathi Paquet likes this

How do i configure the comment part?

Thank you

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 21, 2021

How are the tickets linked?

Vanessa Becker May 24, 2021

Hi there

They are not linked - there is only a rule in place.

Thank you

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 24, 2021

Well, my suggestion would be that you link the tickets in someway when you create the second one. That way you have the ability to send notifications to people associated with the original card when something happens with the second card. 

Vanessa Becker May 25, 2021

Thank you will try that.

Like John Funk likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events