I think I broke Jira's Sprint Reporting :|

Hi all,

Our company's using Jira cloud and we recently switched to Scrum (from Kanban).

In the past 2 + current sprint, we noticed that the built in SPrint reporting only reports the forecasted (committed) story points but the "done" ones were not being reported.

This means the burndown and velocity charts will always show "0" completed stories but if you manually extract the data in jira (sum up all the story points for issues completed within the sprint duration), you will get numbers.

Any general suggestions where I should take a look?

Thanks in adv.

5 comments

Kathi Paquet
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 7, 2021

Take a look at your Board settings -> Estimation and validate Estimation Statistic is Story Points.

And check to make sure the Done/Closed status is on your board as a Column

Like # people like this
Kathi Paquet
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 7, 2021

Aslo, I forgot to ask if you are using the JIRA Standard Project (Company Managed Project) or Next-Gen (Team Managed Project). They may be different configurations.

Like # people like this
Raul Cesar de Leon April 7, 2021

Kathi. Your second suggestion helped me.

The Estimation statistic is indeed "Story Points"

There's definitely a "Done" column.

BUT

In my effort to make it more "burdensome" to cancel issues (by dragging htem over to the "Cancel") column, I positionined the Canceled column AFTER done.

When I switched their positions, that fixed the reporting. Now I'm seeing the velocity/burndowns reporting "Done" tickets. :|

Huuuuge Thanks!!! :)

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 8, 2021

Just to be clear in case someone else lands here - the important bit for your sprint is that burn-down only happens when an issue is "done".  Jira defines this as "in a status that is in the last column on the board". 

It doesn't care what the status is, what the status category is (although that matters in the sprint report gadget), or what the resolution is.  Only "in the last column" matters.

Like # people like this
Giovanny MACARTHUR April 8, 2021

@Nic Brough That is great info, thank you!

Like Monika Marko likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events