Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bridging the gap between Team managed and Company managed projects

Inspired by the discussion (I started) Workflow controls...How do you do? (atlassian.com) I thought I'd share an experiment I did around bridging the gap between Team managed and Company managed projects.

Below is the user story (written in Next-gen/Classic terminology)

thestory.png

The problem statement: How can we maintain Programme/ART level reporting (where we use a standardised SAFe workflow scheme for all ARTs) while allowing certain teams to experiment with Next-Gen (Team managed) projects.

The acceptance criteria were all met using automation for Jira on Jira premium cloud.

In order for this automation suite to work a few simple rules had to be applied on the team managed project.

1. First column must be To Do, last column must be Done. This was so the transition issue automation trigger could be used....all in progress statuses (the ones in-between could be handled by Status category)
  2. They must use Story and Feature as their main issue types (as they will be the types that the automation would monitor and sync back to the Classic project)

Below are the titles of each automation:

titles.png

The "Linking classic epic from NG Story" automation is probably the most cryptic in terms of description and was the hardest to conquer. The idea being, we need a way to sync any stories linked to a Next Gen Feature but post creation of that story (a likely scenario)

auto7.png

The net result of all of this was, a team could "go rogue" with a Next-gen (team managed) project, but enough high level information could be created and kept in sync with their ART/ Programmes Classic project by the automation suite to not disturb or make the team disappear from existing reporting, metrics and visualisations.

If you are interested in further details of the automation rules, feel free to hit me up about them.

3 comments

Taranjeet Singh
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 20, 2021

@Curt Holley thanks for sharing this knowledge. This looks like a good way to bridge the gap between Team-managed and Company-managed projects.

Like Curt Holley likes this
Bridget
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
April 20, 2021

Yes, thanks for this article @Curt Holley !

Linda Milne_Togetha Group_
Solutions Partner
Solution Partners provide consulting, sales, and technical services on Atlassian products.
May 7, 2021

Great idea @Curt Holley 👍

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events