Board settings

Vanessa Becker July 7, 2021

Hello Admins!

Hope you are all doing well.

I am battling with board settings on one of our sites.

Please note that both sites are on a standard plan and I am an administrator on both of the site.

One sit 1 everything is working perfect and i am able to update swimlanes, board setting etc.

On site 2 I have an option to configure boards but there is no swimlanes to change.

Please could you guide me why there is a difference and how do i update the site without the board settings to be able to update swimlanes?

Please refer to my screen shot attached.

Thank you!

5 answers

4 accepted

Suggest an answer

6 votes
Answer accepted
Marc Koppelaar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 7, 2021

Hi @VA

I presume you are on Jira Cloud.

If the project type of your project on site 2 is a Team-managed software project, you can't set swim-lanes.

Swim-lanes are only available on boards in Company-managed software projects

Cheers,

Marc

1 vote
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 7, 2021

Hi Vanessa,

The only out of the box swimlanes functionality for Team-managed project boards is the Group by function. And it only applies to a few fields (Assignee, Epic, etc. )

The only other option that I am aware of is to create a new board that uses a board filter based on the Team-managed project. But you can't put the project in the Location field - you will have to use the value of Personal Profile or select another project in the list. Whatever value you put in the field will not affect the cards that show on the board. 

Then you can add swimlanes like you do with Company-managed projects for that new board. 

1 vote
Answer accepted
Lorenzo Phillips
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 7, 2021

@Marc Koppelaar is correct. I would also recommend spending some time on the differences between company-managed and team-managed projects. Company-managed projects are much flexible to meet complex requirements, while team-managed projects get a team going quickly, but are much less flexible.

I say this because there will be times when teams need a new project and understanding the differences will help you make the correct recommendation. As it can be brutal if you select the wrong project type and have to migrate to the other. :)

0 votes
Answer accepted

Board settings correcy.png

Board settings incorrect.png

Marc Koppelaar
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 7, 2021

See my earlier reply,

This is a Team-managed software project.

You can't have swim-lanes on a board in this type of project.

Like # people like this
Vanessa Becker July 14, 2021

Thank you everyone.

Like John Funk likes this
0 votes
Shei Goldberg September 7, 2021

I am working in a company-managed project but i can't figure out where to set the swimlanes.  I don't have any settings on the actual board - i think its a global setting somewhere in my account but i can't figure out where

Can someone help me configure it?

Marc Koppelaar
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 20, 2021

Hi @Shei Goldberg

You need to have been set as a board administrator on the specific board you want to adjust. If you are not set as a board administrator you are not able to edit that board.

This is a setting per board and not a global setting.

Cheers,

Marc

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events