Usage of Atlassian "Team"

S Fong August 27, 2021

Can someone share their experience of using "team" in Jira Cloud?  I am trying to see if it is something that I should utilize in my instance.  Anything that I should keep in mind?

4 comments

Comment

Tomislav Tobijas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 28, 2021

Hello @S Fong.

By "team" do you mean on user teams under People page ("search people and teams")?

Like Arnd Layer likes this
S Fong August 31, 2021
Tomislav Tobijas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 31, 2021

As many others already said, this feature is not that much used apart from using mentions (and automation, although I never tried that personally).

We use it for pointing out who/which team to contact in case you reach a specific point in troubleshooting.

That being said, Atlassian is working hard on improving People and Teams across all platforms. I've been in a few discussions with Devs and I really like the direction where this is going.

For example, the idea is to have the whole organization visualized in the Teams area - having org charts and reporting lines as well.
Also, you should be able to add teams inside a project and assign specific roles to the whole team.

Take a quick preview here: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Team-Central/Coming-soon-to-Team-Central-A-staff-directory-for-your/ba-p/1757441

These improvements are a part of the Team Central product, but they will be rolling out for all Atlassian products.

Like # people like this
Taranjeet Singh
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 28, 2021

Well, if you have a lot of different teams to manage and work on the same project, you can create teams , and can @ mention teams in issue comments manually or via automation rules to send notifications to all team members at once.

Like S Fong likes this
Giovanny MACARTHUR August 29, 2021

@S Fong We have people that have used Team Managed (formerly Next Gen) and they have not been happy with the version. It is limited in reporting and we are moving to Company managed (formerly Classic) as we find that to be a better version. Mainly what is lacking is the reporting. Also, it is more difficult to keeps things standardized as team managed allows so much flexibility (sounds good in theory, but hasn't been in practice for us). 

S Fong August 31, 2021

Hi @Giovanny MACARTHUR - I am referring to the feature under People > Start a team, not the Team Managed project. 

I agree with your comment about Team Managed project which is why we only use Company managed projects in our instance.  

Like Giovanny MACARTHUR likes this
Arnd Layer August 30, 2021

I think I agree with @S Fong that the functionality provided by the "people - teams" feature seems not to be worth using it right now. I've got some questions from users asking what it's good for and my answer was "not much - ignore it".

Mentions and automation rules are nice, but I imagine a lot of teams appearing and it being hard keeping an overview. This cost would be easier to accept if there was more directly useable functionality to it. I can imagine a few things:

• using teams to assign project roles and space access
  • using teams in filters
  • using teams in Team Central
  • linking teams more tightly to Jira project or a Confluence space
  • more team management functionality

But most importantly:

There is a big potential of confusion with teams in Advanced Roadmaps which als has teams. You can only manage those teams in Advanced Roadmaps. I think Advanced Roadmaps needs to use the "People - Teams" feature - implement the feature necessary there.

To say it politely: The teams in Jira are not good.

Like # people like this
S Fong August 31, 2021

I thought it's the same "teams" that are used @mentioned, automation rules and Advanced Roadmaps.  Isn't it?

Tomislav Tobijas
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 31, 2021

Advanced Roadmaps teams are still separated from Atlassian Teams. However, this feature has been requested by the community, approved by Atlassian teams, and should be rolling out soon.

More on that here: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-articles/What-s-coming-soon-for-roadmaps-and-Advanced-Roadmaps-in-Jira/ba-p/1779294

"Teams going global - We’re working towards unifying the concept of “teams” across all Atlassian products so that the team you use in Advanced Roadmaps is the same team you use in Jira Software, Confluence, Opsgenie, etc."

Like # people like this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events