Is crypto currency the future of new user onboarding?

Bridget
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
April 20, 2021

Jiracoin? Atlasbase? 

A coworker sent me this article that's about how companies might use cryptocurrency micropayments to encourage new users to take onboarding/training. 

I love the idea of either earning a few thousand dollars a year to do the trainings I would normally take, and/or giving away that money to users who take the time to learn our products!

Let me know what you think in the comments - do you think micropayments might work to incentivize more in-depth onboarding for new users?

3 comments

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new comments.

Post a new discussion

Mykenna Cepek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 20, 2021

My $0.02...  As with gamification, the critical aspect of such a system will be the core metric which triggers a micropayment.

"When a measurement becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure."
-- Goodhart's Law

Perhaps some best practices will be developed to support a workable model for this. I love the concept, but am quite skeptical about simplistic implementations.

Do I get paid just for scrolling through an article? Clicking a button at the end? Succeeding at a static quiz to test for knowledge gained? Dynamic quiz? Fill-in-the-blank, human reviewed testing?

Where is the tradeoff between investing in the validation of actual learning vs paying for some minimal behavior that doesn't result in the desired learning?

Might be some good models in the existing work being done around "badging" and electronic credentialing.

Like # people like this
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 20, 2021

I'd buy a little Atlascoin if someone started mining it!

Leveraging the blockchain to hold a user's general reputation, and using that reputation to determine if a new user is indeed a real person and one who has a good record would be a neat way to cut down on spam Atlassian IDs. 

p.s. I'm thrilled this isn't a spam article - my alarm bells went off when I saw "crypto" in my notification feed! 😂

Like Mateusz Janus likes this
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 20, 2021

And an actual p.s. I'd take the Jira onboarding if it got me a few extra features from the next paid tier 😉

Like Mykenna Cepek likes this
Desi Nikolova April 29, 2021

I wouldn’t mind earning an extra thousand dollars a year for doing things I normally do 😉🐱‍💻

Like Dave Liao likes this

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new comments.

Post a new discussion

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events