Disable certain fields in Field configuration (Jira Cloud)

Sergei Gridnevskii
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 24, 2021

Is there any legal way to disable certain fields in Fields configuration? I am talking about these ones:

Baseline Start Date

Baseline End Date

Restrict to

I have a simple software project where I disabled all fields but Summary, Description, Attachments and Links. I tried to disable these 3 but they still show up in Field Configuration.

I know that they are used in other projects, but why Jira includes them in all projects without asking me?

As a workaround I created a context for Baseline fields where I listed only projects where they are used. But Restrict to is not a custom field and I cannot do the same with it.

4 comments

Comment

Linda Milne_Togetha Group_
Solutions Partner
Solution Partners provide consulting, sales, and technical services on Atlassian products.
August 24, 2021

What do you mean "disabled"? You can remove fields from the screen using the screen scheme, issue layout and removing the fields altogether. Try using the issue layout to hide them - Project Settings > Issue Layout.

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 24, 2021

Jira includes global fields in all projects by default. 

I don't quite understand the problem you describe though:

The Field configuration is one way to tell it to hide a field if you don't want it in a project.

"Restrict to", as a custom field, can be hidden away from projects with the context or the field configuration.  What exactly is stopping you from doing that?

Like # people like this
Sergei Gridnevskii
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 24, 2021

There is no Restrict to field when I search it in Custom fields. I think it is a standard Jira field.

Untitled.png

Paul Cooper August 24, 2021

Hi Sergei,

From your question above, I understand that you want to continue using these three fields in some projects and not see them at all in other projects.

If my understanding is correct then Linda's comment above is a solution i.e. on project settings hide the unwanted fields permanently. The consequence is that you have to do this project by project (I have not found an easy way to hide a system field in a defined set of projects).

For non-system fields use screens schemes and screens to define which fields should be shown to a user at each state (and during transition if needed). You may need a couple of screen schemes and sets of screens (in each scheme) to achieve your ambition. From each project you will need to select the screen scheme to be used by that project (again I have not yet found an easy way to do this for multiple projects).

The is an overview article here that might help (3) Atlassian Jira administration | LinkedIn

I hope the above helps.

Paul

Sergei Gridnevskii
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 24, 2021

I know that I can hide them on screen level, this is not the issue. What I am talking about is that I cannot disable them in Field Configuration for this project. There is no gui for that

Untitled.png

Sergei Gridnevskii
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 24, 2021

By the way I archived an old project that used Baseline start date and Baseline end date fields (Roadmap plugin) and now they are gone from my Fields configuration. Magic.

Solutions Partner
Solution Partners provide consulting, sales, and technical services on Atlassian products.
August 24, 2021

The comment in the configuration is that this is required for Test Automation - I'm assuming you have a test automation plugin? So, if you remove it the plugin will cease to may stop working. If you click on shared by 1 project you can see which project is using it and if it is still required.

Sergei Gridnevskii
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 24, 2021

Well I tend to agree, I think this field was added by some plugin. Is there a way to restrict plugin to certain projects so that it does not interfere into normal work of Jira? And the second question - is there a way to find which plugin created the field so that I would uninstall it or write to developers to fix it?

Solutions Partner
August 24, 2021

I don't believe you can restrict plugins per project, as such - you can use groups or other config to restrict user access to it.

Ive just had a look at my field configurations and I too have a Restrict To config in one instance, but not the other. Cant identify what plugin it might be linked to. Is it an Access / SSO thing? The big difference between the two instances is the Microsoft Teams plugin - could that be the source?

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events