Top 3 features I´d love to have in Jira Cloud...

Hi all.

I used to be on Jira Server but now in the Cloud. There are a few features that are present on Server but lacking in the Cloud. These are them and why I...

giphy

so crazy much:

1. Ability to filter the Automation log for certain types of results, like on DC and Server, instead of scrolling endlessly through the log to find log entries of status "some errors" or whatever one is looking for. autom1.jpg
  2. Ability to filter Custom fields by type - for example being able to see all "Select List (single select)" fields, etc. Again, this is already a function in Server and DC. Reason for this is that sometimes I want to try to reuse a field and now I have to go through all the pages of Custom Fields with ctrl-f of the type I am searching for... custom1.jpg
  3. Workflow Scheme: have the location of "Active" and "Inactive" in tabs up on top like it is in Workflow. This is a more consistent approach (not throwing Admins back and forth depending on which Schema they are in) and easier to access. This is actually not in DC or Server - just a brand new suggestion from me at least :)

Hope this gets on the Product Manager´s radar...

Thanks,
KGM

21 comments

Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 2, 2022

@Jimmy Seddon , @Fabian Lim , @Ed Gaile _Atlanta_ GA_ , @Robert Wen_ReleaseTEAM_ , @Dave Liao , and @Andy Gladstone - would be great to hear your insights/thoughts on this :)

Thanks, KGM

Like # people like this
Fabian Lim
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 2, 2022

Just to add to #3, I just find it super annoying that I need copy the existing workflow and then edit it if I have new statuses to be added for example.  Then apply the new workflow to the project workflow scheme.  In DC/Server, I can just edit the damn workflow.  

Like # people like this
Gary Spross
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 2, 2022

Another one is Priority schemes.

Like # people like this
Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 2, 2022

@Fabian Lim yes! Totally with you there. I actually was involved with a research interview not too long ago and it sounds like maybe, possibly, perhaps something might change soon...  Lets cross our fingers :)

Like # people like this
Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 2, 2022

If that happens, @Fabian Lim , then I´ll dress up again and we can celebrate!

20220407_204549.jpg

Like # people like this
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 2, 2022

@Kristján Geir Mathiesen - top three, eh? Where to start?

• Allow full-color cards on boards. There's no good workaround for Cloud. In on-prem, there's a (thankfully free) add-on that does this (Ascend Color Cards).
  • In Jira Work Management, can we get more colors than the 13 provided? Confluence Cloud eventually provided more colors in the editor, so hoping JWM will follow!
  • Priority schemes, please! (JRACLOUD-3821 - +4,300 votes ... and JSWCLOUD-21455)

Edit: When commenting in articles, I try to comment first before reading the other comments! I see I was beaten to the priority scheme suggestion, but that's definitely one of my top 3 pain points.

Like # people like this
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 2, 2022

AND YES ON YOUR #2, @Kristján Geir Mathiesen !

I was helping someone with a Cloud instance and didn't realize that it wasn't possible to filter custom fields by type. Awkward. 🤣

Like # people like this
Yatish Madhav
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 2, 2022

Hey. Coming from a "never worked on Server or DC Jira instance" background, this is an eye opener. Thanks for the article @Kristján Geir Mathiesen  - these are some really neat features that would benefit the Cloud instance in small ways greatly.

On point 3, totally agree. There are some inconsistansies in some of the UI ... but I can also understand why with the number of updates Atlassian often churns out.

On point 1 and 2, filtering is such a helpful feature of any listing UI ... I am so used to ctrl f on the browser but having this ability will improve it many fold.

I would like to add 4 (knowing this is not a feature request section :D) - the ability to view all linked elements. Eg. if a person is linked to X projects, is linked to Y filters and dashboards, how many issues s/he reported/assigned to/watches/etc, finding all projects a person is project lead on, ... I am watching some issues on JSWCLOUD/JRACLOUD/others but posting here to see other thoughts.

Thanks again

Amir Katz (Outseer)
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 2, 2022

I also share number 2 from @Kristján Geir Mathiesen 's list.

Instead of waiting (forever) for Atlassian, I wrote a Python application that uses the Jira REST API to retrieve all CFs and then formats them nicely in an Excel sheet and makes it into a table, so I can sort the CFs by ID, name or type.

I also added some (non-trivial) code that counts how many issues are referring each CFs, so I can find all the unused CFs and delete them.

Like # people like this
Yatish Madhav
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 2, 2022

Nice @Amir Katz (Outseer)  - possible to share that somehow? Or ifnot, the logic therein? I am interested in the 2nd half of that - ie. count of issues/projects using it and if it is possible to clean them up (just recently been commenting on this clean up guide post https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Cloud-Admins-articles/Jira-Software-Instance-Cleanup-Guide/ba-p/2136279 by @Kim Mooney )

Like # people like this
Amir Katz (Outseer)
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 2, 2022

@Yatish Madhav I cannot share the code, but I will share the algorithm in a blog post that I will publish soon.

Like # people like this
Yatish Madhav
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 2, 2022

Thanks @Amir Katz (Outseer)  - that would be super. Appreciate it!

Singer Uzzal October 3, 2022

Thanks to all.

Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 3, 2022

@Dave Liao regarding:

"AND YES ON YOUR #2"

RIGHT?!? Kind of crazy, huh! But maybe there is a technical explanation...  Thanks for your support!

Like Dave Liao likes this
Haddon Fisher
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 3, 2022

As someone who spent 8+ years on Server before moving to Cloud, there's a lot to miss...they are functionally two different applications 😂 . Off the top of my head...

- The greatest thing about Server\DC was, if the application didn't do something you wanted it to do, there was almost always an add-on that would fill the gap. I understand technical limitations inherent to a multi-tenant architecture preclude things from working in the same way on Cloud (mainly Java API and DB access I believe), but without it you're stuck using the sticks and rocks Atlassian thinks you want to use, and in the way they think you want to use them. This is...an experience. I realize Forge may end up being the solution to this problem, but it's been long enough that I can't hold my breath anymore.

- It's been said a million times already, but what's one more howl in the void: PRIORITY SCHEMES.

- The whole project product\management "thing" is a dog's breakfast on Cloud in multiple dimensions I don't remember fighting with on Server\DC. The creation process is a mess, users are overwhelmed and create projects that don't work for them, and there's no migration process so converting types\management is immensely painful. Also, there's so many "features" which are restricted to only one type...do people doing software development never need to approve anything?

- I don't know if this is still true, but I believe Server\DC remains uninfected with "team managed projects". If so, consider yourselves truly blessed.

Like # people like this
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 3, 2022

@Haddon Fisher - I appreciate you using the word "uninfected" - giving me Dead Space vibes. 🪐

Like Haddon Fisher likes this
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 3, 2022

@Kristján Geir Mathiesen - a technical explanation from the vendor is just an excuse, I presume it's the same reason we don't have ID-240 yet. 😭😭😭

Okay, the above isn't totally fair. Technical reasons can be legitimate.

If it costs 4000 dev hours to implement priority schemes, I'd never approve that work. 🙃

Like # people like this
Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 4, 2022

Good news @Dave Liao ! It only costs 3999 hours to do the priority scheme in the Cloud...  :)

Yeah, there are reasons and then there are priorities.

Like Dave Liao likes this
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 4, 2022
Like # people like this
Haddon Fisher
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 6, 2022

HA @Dave Liao ! I think I disagree with you though; you're not going to have a lot of customers left if you keep optimizing for "cheap" over "needed" 🤣 I'd also be really curious why it would cost that much. Smells like maybe someone's been forgetting to pay off their tech debt...

Like # people like this
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 6, 2022

@Haddon Fisher ha absolutely! Optimizing for one or the other is not ideal. A balance is sometimes needed, especially if a feature delivered increases the satisfaction of the user base.

Throw us a bone, Atlassian!

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events