How to make “Story points” appear on issues?

Hello everyone,

I’m Carol, product manager here at Atlassian looking at issues and fields configurations in Jira Cloud.

One of the questions we often get is: “I’ve added the “Story points” field to the issue layout/screen, why don’t “Story points” show up on the issue view for some issue types?”

Before I dive into the solution, I’d like to set the context with some concepts to explain the behaviour.

There are multiple settings that determine whether a field is visible in the issue:

1. Associating the field with the screen

2. Associating the field with projects/issue types through field contexts

3. Showing/Hiding a field using field configuration schemes

4. Adding the field to the issue layout (affects Issue View only)

Why does “Story points” field not appear on issues?

The most common reason for the “Story points” field not showing up is because of the field context that is associated with the field.

By default, the “Story points” fields is available only for issues of the following issue types:

• Story

• Epic

If you want “Story points” to show up for other issue types, you can configure the field with the steps below:

Configure the context for “Story points” field for issue types

Note: To make the following changes you will need to have site administration permissions. See Permissions overview for more information.

To change the default, you’ll have to associate the “Story points” field with other issue types. To do so:

1. Go to Settings (Screen Shot 2022-03-30 at 5.56.28 pm.png) > Issues > Custom fields.

2. Select Story points field > Contexts.

3. Select Create, edit or delete contexts > Edit context.

4. Select Any issue type to make the field available for all issue types. You can also select only those issue types you want this field to show up for.

The “Story points” field will show up on the issues after you’ve done this. If you find that the context is already configured for the relevant issue type(s), please have a look at the other settings mentioned at the start of the post to diagnose why it is not appearing.

Hope this helps. Feel free to comment below for any other details.

10 comments

Elke Heinrichs March 30, 2022

Thank you Carol, for this very usefull explanaition. Regards, Elke

Like Carol Low likes this
Erick Miranda Márquez March 30, 2022

Awesome tutorial! Many thanks for sharing your experience with us.

All My Best

Taranjeet Singh
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 30, 2022

@Carol Low Thanks for sharing this article! Being an Atlassian consultant and/or admin since last 6 years, I know that this is a common complaint from a lot of users using "Story Points" field for their issue types in Jira, and you have correctly documented the solution that I provide for this issue.

This is going to be super useful for any new Jira Cloud Admins here!

Like # people like this
Dave Mathijs
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 31, 2022

Thanks for clarifying that the context of Story Points is by default limited to issue types Epic and Story, wasn't aware either.

Sri Kumar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 1, 2022

Thanks for writing and sharing @Carol Low 

Jan Verbeke April 20, 2023

I do see the story point field on the story issue type, but I can't edit it, although it's on the edit screenlayout.

Like josh_sutterfield likes this
Agnieszka Kornas July 7, 2023

I have more basic issue. 
I can't add Story Point to User Story. 
I am a project admin.
I go to issue types, chose Story and I want to add "Story Points" but I can't see it in the right menu.
I try with advanced but I can see Story Point but can't add it either. 

I am using default screen scheme for this project. And this scheme contains the screen 

Karen Bottai October 12, 2023

Im glad I ran across this article. I was perplexed why all the rest of the projects could have Story Points but one did not. turns out it was not added in the default section of the context. Thanks for the article!

George Grigorian December 29, 2023

Thank you so much! This was perfect and to the point. Happy Holidays! 

josh_sutterfield March 8, 2024

There doesn't seem to be "Custom Fields" in my case, only "Fields". Story Points is there but nothing is editable and there is no "Contexts". Just a table listing all the fields. Story Points says "5 screens" but I have no idea what "screens" these are since some fields indicate huge numbers, like "39 screens".

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events