Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Celebration

Earn badges and make progress

You're on your way to the next level! Join the Kudos program to earn points and save your progress.

Deleted user Avatar
Deleted user

Level 1: Seed

25 / 150 points

Next: Root

1 badge earned

Collect

Participate in fun challenges

Challenges come and go, but your rewards stay with you. Do more to earn more!

Challenges
Coins

Gift kudos to your peers

What goes around comes around! Share the love by gifting kudos to your peers.

Recognition
Ribbon

Rise up in the ranks

Keep earning points to reach the top of the leaderboard. It resets every quarter so you always have a chance!

Leaderboard

Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

Have you found a cleaner way to filter child issues?

Hello Admins,

I'm looking for advice on guidance on the cleanest way to pull child issues of top level hierarchical issues. The only effective filter query I've found so far that works is: "issue in portfolioChildIssuesOf(ISSUE-X) OR issue in portfolioChildIssuesOf(ISSUE-Y)" & so on repeated another 20 times.

TIA

James

4 comments

The following works for me. 

issuekey in portfolioChildIssuesOf(issuekey/ID goes here)

The filter returns all the child issues below the issue named in the filter.

I beleive this only works if you are using the 'parent link' field that was bundled with advance roadmaps.

Like # people like this
Dave Atlassian Team Apr 01, 2021

Just to follow up on @David Hannon's answer ... the portfolioChildIssuesOf function should do this but it part of Advanced Roadmaps (formerly known as Portfolio) so I believe you will need a Jira Premium license to use this.

Regards,

Dave

Like James Drake likes this

Thank you for your replies, this is the method I've been using. I just wondered if there was a cleaner way of pulling the data. Best, James

Like Dave likes this

I created a somewhat more elaborate way of achieving this using Automation. Let's call the parent issuetype (above the Epic) an "Objective".

I then created a field named Objective and placed it on each screen for Epics, Stories, Bugs, and Tasks. Once the Epics was linked to an Objective (i.e., its Parent Link field linked to an Objective), I copied the Objective issue key to the Objective field.

Then using a bunch of cascading automations, I had the value of Objective copied down to all linked descendants.

This allows me to do a simple jql search for ALL children of any particular objective:

Objective ~[issue key]

This is especially useful when you have parent issues more than one step above the Epic (which we do).

Like James Drake likes this

Comment

TAGS

Atlassian Community Events