Becoming a JIRA Search Ninja - History searches in JIRA

76 comments

Liam Maeder April 18, 2019

Is this possible for Issue Types? I tried to use it but sadly it wouldn't let me search for them.

Jennifer Roberts April 30, 2019

HI @Maarten Cautreels - very helpful post!

I am looking for a query that will tell me the JIRAs assigned to a user by range (week). For example – a list of the JIRAs assigned to Jennifer between 4/22/19 and 4/28/19.  Is this possible? 

I tried this:

project = RSTK AND assignee = "jroberts@rootstock.com" DURING ("2019-04-01", "2019-04-30")

However I get the following error:

Error in JQL Query: The EQUALS operator does not support the use of the during ("2019-04-01", "2019-04-30") predicate.

Dick Weldon June 5, 2019

Awesome article. Very helpful!

Thanks for publishing it 

Deleted user July 9, 2019

Is it possible to get a list of the most frequently accessed/searched projects in JIRA? We are able to pull details of all projects that have been updated within the past 12 months, for example, but we want to get a list of all projects that although may not have been active recently, are regularly searched by our teams for reference.

Thank you! 

I J September 7, 2019

Thanks a lot  @Maarten Cautreels!

The option "was" is really great for search in history.

I guess there is no option to count changes in history?

If I want to see how many times issues were in status "Reopened"?

Currently I only can see number of issues that were reopened at least one time:

assignee was xxx and status was Reopened

But how to know for somebody - sum of all times from all issues that they were reopened for him?

(The need is because of a person who starts actually to fix an issue only after it is reopened at least 3 times:-), i.e. he resolves them at least twice as "not an issue" to get rid of them:-)

Is it possible?

Thanks!

IJ

rahul0611 October 15, 2019

thank you for this article. It helped. :) 

yangyq21 June 18, 2020

This is cool!

However, could we have it enable for customized fields?

Thx

Helle Overbeck June 18, 2020

@Jennifer Roberts 

You need to reference the Assignee twice - like this:

assignee = xxxx and assignee changed during ("2019-04-01", "2019-04-30")     or

assignee = xxxx and assignee changed before 2019-04-01

Anton July 20, 2020

@Maarten CautreelsMany thanks for this article.

In our workflow a ticket can get to the status ‘closed’ from several other statuses. Now I am looking for a query that will give me back all Closed tickets with the status before they get to the status ‘Closed’.

I can use WAS IN, but than I have to query each status separately. That is not really efficient. I hope you can help me with this one.

Thanks in advance.

Martijn van Eijk July 31, 2020

For everyone who is still looking. History searches does NOT work in Next-Gen projects ...

There might however be a workaround!:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/BUG-JQL-Unable-to-query-next-gen-project-s-issues-with-status/qaq-p/1319216

Jayender Rajagopal August 28, 2020

This is a fantastic article. Can anybody help me with this use case on querying the history - we have a situation where users reassign items to others but do not update the due dates. What then happens is that the new assignee shows up on a a list of "people with overdue Jiras", which naturally upsets them. We would like to generate some sort of report where we can identify such Jiras and associated people with the goal of coaching them on updating due dates.

Zailyn Letriz October 5, 2020

We will get items from the Service Desk Portal and if an item becomes a bug for a developer to fix; we will move this item to their Development Team project.  I am trying to create a Filter that can bring items that where part of the Service Desk Project however, the JSQL tells me is not supported and I get this message : 'History searches do not support the 'project' field'.  Do you have a solution for this problem?

Joanna Makson December 4, 2020

Hello, great article!

I'm looking for a solution how to filter out a specific content of one field existing in a very specific day from the past (to make a comparison between this old contant and current content of the same field). 

For example: on 2Nov2020 in field "Executive Summary" there was XXXX content. The field was changed many times within 3 next weeks and now contains YYYY. In the table, I need to compare current value YYYY (easy filtering, i have it) with XXXX from 2Nov2020 and I can't handle with this formula how to get exact content from this very specific day from the past.  Is it possible to fish it up?

Thanks a lot, any help appreciated!

Marie Gregoire December 18, 2020

How would you search for any record in Jira that was modified in the last two weeks by a particular user.

I tried "Updated > -2w BY (username) "and Jira did not like the "BY" but it did not work

Helle Overbeck December 20, 2020

@Marie Gregoire  You need to write something about what was updated - fx.:

status changed by xxx AFTER -2w

Marie Gregoire December 21, 2020

Simple enough.  Thanks!

Ramsay Zaki January 13, 2021

Any thoughts how to do an "exclude from" certain statuses? For example... give me all tickets where the status changed to Awaiting Code Review except for those which were transitioned from In Progress. (the "not" below doesn't actually work in JQL. I've just put it here to show the general idea of what I need)

project = PPLUS AND status CHANGED TO "Awaiting Code Review" NOT FROM "In Progress" 
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 14, 2021

@Ramsay Zaki  - Maybe try:

project = PPLUS AND status CHANGED TO "Awaiting Code Review" and status was not in ("In Progress")

Amit Juneja February 26, 2021

I have an issue where a user made bulk changes to 24 items via the current filter and the bulk updater said 30 items were updated.  I am trying to figure out how I can search for those 6 items.  

Minkyung Kim _김민경_ September 12, 2021

Hi, all

Could I search updated issues in specific date period?

I am willing to find the updated issues on 2021/09-10.

And I used the JQL below.

> (issuetype in (task, sub-task) and updated <= "2021-09-10 23:59" and updated >= "2021-09-10 00:00")

If the 'A' issue is updated on 2021/09/10 and updated again on 2021/09/11, the filter isn't list the 'A' Issue even the 'A' Issue has a update history on 2021/09/10.

In this case, how can I find all issues that have update history on specific date? even they have the latest update history. 

Nik C November 19, 2021

Is there a possibility to List both an Old project Key and moved to Project Key?

Richard de Freitas Barbosa March 2, 2022

Boa tarde tenho o seguinte cenário:

-> Saber a quantidade de issues que foram transicionadas de um status "X" para "Y" dentro de uma sprint ou periodo .... Sabe como poderia fazer isso?

nice guy May 26, 2022

this is a joke, no adequate searching mechanism, not directed to the author, just frustrated with JIRA 

Mike Long August 11, 2022

I use Jira cloud, and use searches a lot.   However, recently I did a search which included
created >= -30d

And now every time I start a new search, it always has that tagged on.   I don't think I did anything intentional to make that sticky, but it seems "stuck".  I delete it from each search manually, but then next time it returns.   Is my jira search haunted?  kidding.   But how do I get rid if this?

This probably isn't the right place to ask, but it at least seems like you are a guru on this topic, so hoping you will know off the top of your head.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 11, 2022

Hey @_Mike Long  - It's probably a cache thing with your browser. Try clearing your cache and history and see if it goes away. 

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events