Are you a customer who loves to tinker with Jira?

If you find yourself thinking about little ways to make Jira better, then start thinking “I could do that…,” then find yourself browsing our REST API documentation, then the answer is probably yes. Our products have always been extensible, because we know that some teams will need to do a little bit of tweaking to make our products fit their unique workflows perfectly.

Our developer platform lets you build add-ons, macros, integrations, anything “extra” on top of our products. We collectively refer to these as “apps.” Altogether our customers have created over 40,000 “private apps” just for their teams to use.

For example, long time Atlassian user and admin Raju Kadam has been able to automate many cumbersome, manual tasks using our APIs. One such task was granting access requests to restricted Confluence pages, Jira issues, and Bitbucket repos while he was at Tesla, which used to involve separate email chains with the requestor and the approver. To replace this, he set up a Jira Service Desk and built a bot that could automatically shepherd access requests to the correct owner, then grant access to the requestor, all while transitioning the JSD tickets to the appropriate workflow states to keep everyone informed. Between 70-80% of the requests that came in were completely automated, which saved him and his team a ton of time and also gave them metrics to show to management.

At the same time, we also have the Atlassian Marketplace with over 4,000 “public apps” that are ready for customers to install and use. Many of these public apps evolved from private apps that someone created to solve their own problem, and they discovered that it helped a lot of other customers too. That’s actually how the super popular app ScriptRunner got its start. Its maker, Adaptavist, is now one of 50 companies bringing in over $1M annually from their revenue from apps on Marketplace!

So, if you have built something custom for your team and it’s worked really well, have you ever thought about listing it on Atlassian Marketplace? For paid apps, Atlassian takes a cut of the revenue to invest in the infrastructure of Marketplace and the ecosystem as a whole. Right now, we’re reducing our share from apps built for Jira Cloud, Jira Service Desk Cloud, and Confluence Cloud, so you’ll take home 95% of the revenue generated in the first year as opposed to 85%. You can learn more about this here.

If you have something ready to go and want to learn how to publish it on Marketplace, check out these docs. If you haven’t built anything yet but are now interested, check out this page to get started. We also have a massive developer community of 25,000+ to help you along the way!

3 comments

Felipe Sozinho May 1, 2020

Hi @Katrina Morales

the link behind "check out this page to get started." (https://developer.atlassian.com/developer-guide/start-building-with-atlassian/?_ga=2.228940764.1794017275.1588358634-942093503.1565616090) gives me a 404 error.

Removing the last part of it worked (I think - unless you mean to re-direct us to a different page) https://developer.atlassian.com/developer-guide/start-building-with-atlassian/

Thank you for this article!

Katrina Morales
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 1, 2020

Hi @Felipe Sozinho 👋Thank you for pointing that out! It looks like the Atlassian Community platform automatically appended that GA string to my URL, as it wasn't there when I wrote the article and I can't remove it. For some reason it's breaking that URL but not others. 🤷‍♀️

Glad you enjoyed the article!

Prof. Roshan Adhikari May 2, 2020

Thank you for the help in confirmation of email.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events