cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommendations for Jira Align

Jakob Schypinski April 16, 2021

Hi every1,

I am new and have a important question.

In most cases, standard software such as Jira Align is integrated into an existing "system landscape" via interfaces. e.g. - Interface to AD for authorization checks - Interface to a database for general data management - Interface to the basic Jira system to exchange task IDs - and so on. I am assuming that certain recommendations / best practices exist for Jira Align regarding the question of which interfaces are typically connected, i.e. with which other systems it is normally connected to.
(We had befor Jira and now in ad. Align)

friendly regards
Jakob

4 comments

Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 18, 2021

@Jakob Schypinski - hi Jakob! 👋

Are you searching for Marketplace apps to help integrate your Jira instance(s) with Jira Align?

Are you looking for Jira Align best practices, in general? If so, are there problems you're trying to solve?

Interested in learning more about your situation!

Jakob Schypinski April 19, 2021

Hi Dave,

thank u very much for ur response. 

We/I am searching for a e.g. releases, updates and so on... which are neccesary for Align. Which can or are "transferred" into Aligin from Jira, programmes applications u use on both. Similarities.

We have no problems, "just" an important task (for me) to present it for my supervisor.

u want to know more 

just ask

best regards

jakob

Like Dave Liao likes this
Tina Behers
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 21, 2021

Jakob 

in reading your question, I am seeing 3 possible intents for your ask.. 

1) Updates for Jira Align.  Atlassian releases updates directly to Jira Align based on their published release schedule (Generally every 2 weeks) - first into your test instance, if you have one, then into your production system 2 weeks later. This is part of your SaaS package with Atlassian.  Updates are 'simply' released to you.  As an admin you do not need to do anything. 

2) Integration to other tools in your landscape.  

- integration to Jira and Trello is, as you know contained natively within Jira Align.  

-  integration to other Atlassian tools, such as Confluence, Bitbucket, Ops Genie, etc. does not exist either as a plug in or within the core application. 

- integration to other tools, such as an HRMS, Financial system, or other data store can be created using the API that @Tom O_Connor  mentions below.  This API is very substantial and can be used to create either mono-directional or bi-directional data synchronization to/from Jira Align

3) Integration to things like AD, is native in the original API shipped with Jira Align.  This does require a custom build on your part, but in conjunction with your AD groups and SSO previsioning can be used to grant/limit access to Jira Align. 

I hope I provided some additional clarity to your ask. 

Tom O'Connor
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 19, 2021

@Jakob Schypinski I'm not quite sure of what your ask is.  As far as Jira Align release notes - all info can be found here: https://help.jiraalign.com/hc/en-us/sections/115000566873-10X-Release-Notes

Jira Align does not have a app marketplace like Jira.  We do have an API that can be turned on for your instance.  API info can be found here: https://help.jiraalign.com/hc/en-us/articles/360045371954-Getting-started-with-the-REST-API-2-0

In addition, we do have a business intelligence functionality with Enterprise Insights: https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/align/bi

Hope this helps...let us know if you have additional questions. 

Jakob Schypinski May 3, 2021

Hallo every1,

and thx for the great answers but thats not what my supervisour actually is searching for.

I told u i am very new to this but i try my best. Did some researches and so on...

but sitll...

I would be interested in which interfaces are typically used when integrating with JIRA. Interfaces Required...

interface configuration:

• AD LDAP connection

• SAML SSO

• Jira Software Connector - Jira Align / Jira

o RESTAPi between Jira Align / Jira

• SMTP Email Server - at Jira Align

Furthermore, for Jira Align configuration Jira Align - Jira fields content mapping (and custom fields) Projects selection

How does that work? What do i need to connect Jira and Jira Algin? Programs, tools, updats...?

I am Verry verry for all help i can get

Tina Behers
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 3, 2021

@Jakob Schypinski 

Typically, the integration between Jira & Jira Align is done using the native api within Jira Align. 

In order to integrate the two, you will need to create a "system integration" account with specific permissions AND access to the integrated projects from Jira.  Most commonly, I have seen companies create the system integration account (i.e. named JiraAlignConnector) and provide this account with system admin permissions in order to eliminate the added overhead of adding the account to specific projects.

Once that user account is created, you then access Jira Align - Jira Integration panels, add the user ID, Passwords and URLS for your Jira environment.  Runa  test ping from Jira Align to ensure connectivity.  Then configure the remaining Jia integration tabs. 

More information on the specific permissions REQUIRED for the integration user to have and how to complete the configuration itself can be found in the Jira Align help center.  Guides - Jira Integration Guide. 

Hope this helps and answers the core question above.

Tina

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events