Jira to Jira Align Troubleshooting

Arden_Hawley January 28, 2020

Howdy folks! I wanted to share some of the steps of troubleshooting I went through while building out a connector from onprem Jira DC to Align.  Hopefully this can help others, and encourage sharing of what other "gotchas" there are in the process. I will have to admit, I was a bit daunted when I started working on the project to connect our on-premise Jira to Jira Align.  Enterprise networks are finicky at best and a labyrinth at worst.  Here are some of the troubleshooting steps I found most useful while working on connecting Jira to Align. 

Honorable mentions to my own internal network team, and @Tim Keyes  who very patiently triaged issues with us. (smile)  For frame of reference, this connector example uses an API gateway between Jira and Jira Align.  

Wireshark

Having a good view into the network layer of our connector was invaluable.  I had some traffic captures done so I could analyze them for errors.

image2020-1-28_10-17-9.png

Here's my first culprit. TLS handshake failure, so we had our teams re-examine our certificate setups and they were able to determine there was a trust issue.  Certificate reinstalled and away we go! 

image2020-1-28_10-18-54.png

Ran into an issue where our connection was being reset, so we had our gateway team adjust some of the parameters.  Finally, we can see traffic being passed between Align and Jira. 

Logs

There are API logs available in the "Jira Settings" portion of the admin console in Align.

image2020-1-28_10-34-53.png

image2020-1-28_10-40-23.png

The pink portion is what our gateway uses to send traffic to Jira.  It is removed from the call when forwarded to Jira. The blue is the API call that should be used within Jira itself.  However when the service account gets to Jira to do a simple healthcheck, it receives a 404.  The URI it is trying to get to does exist, so its time to look at the logs on the Jira side. Note for Jira DC users, errors should still contain node information in the response, so you can tell which node you need to look at specifically.   Here's a line from our http access logs, with the user account "trex" as our service account.  .

trex [timestamp] "GET /align/rest/api/2/serverInfo?doHealthCheck=true HTTP/1.1" 404 

We can see that there's an extra part of the tags that got into the URL request.  In Align's Jira Connectors menu, we can adjust the URL used as the Jira API URL, removing the "/align" from the end.  Finally, we see 200 codes and issues syncing up to Align. 

2 comments

Tim Keyes
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 28, 2020

Hi Arden,

Thank you for posting!  It is excellent to have a customer share some of the lessons learned with Jira Align to Jira connectivity to prevent these errors from occurring in the future.  Your team was very polite and responsive working through the connectivity!  We are continuing to post additional material tied to the connector on the community and anything you can add over time would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!
Tim  

Like # people like this
Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 4, 2020

Yes, this is good stuff! Nice to learn how we can troubleshoot Jira Align connectivity issues. Thank you for sharing!

Like Emily Koch likes this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events