Understanding Value Engineering with Jira Align

When our customers think about value engineering their basic goal is to improve efficiency and decrease operating costs through analysis.

In Jira Align, value engineering can be performed on different work objects such as initiatives and epics. It can also be used to determine if these work items are worth building. Watch this video to get an overview of value engineering in Jira Align. Let me know what you think!

6 comments

Suvradip Paul
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 25, 2021

Hi @Sid Narang ,

Thanks for the article and sharing the video on Value Engineering. 

I have some queries on this.

1. I might be wrong but does this value engineering based on principle  - 'Value Stream Mapping' i.e. Lean Management method?
  2. Can we apply  value engineering on other type of issues such as a set of  bugs, tasks and spikes and suppose these are not part of EPICs or Initiatives?

Cheers

Suvradip

Like Sid Narang likes this
Sid Narang
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 25, 2021

Hi @Suvradip Paul ,

Thanks for the comment! To directly answer your questions - 

1. VSM pertains to lean management techniques used to document, analyze and improve the flow of information required to produce a product or service for a customer.

Value Engineering would complement VSM in terms of producing outcome-based activity unlike output-based activity which is where traditional enterprises get stuck with slow-feedback loops. Value Engineering would improve efficiency and decrease operating costs through analysis.

2. In Jira Align, Value Engineering can be performed on epics, capabilities, and features to improve function and lower costs, or to determine if these work items are worth building.

Here is some more information around Value Engineering in Jira Align: https://help.jiraalign.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001542113-10X-Value-Engineering

Best,

Sid

Like Suvradip Paul likes this
Suvradip Paul
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 25, 2021

Thanks @Sid Narang  for clarifying!  

So, suppose if we add these bugs, spike and task under the EPIC as child issues then value engineering can be performed on that epic, is that right?

Cheers

Suvradip

Sid Narang
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 26, 2021

Hi @Suvradip Paul Yes Value Engineering can be performed on that Epic level. In Jira Align, Jira Software integrates with Jira Align and those Epic's will directionally sync with both solutions.

Like Suvradip Paul likes this
Suvradip Paul
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 26, 2021

Ok thanks @Sid Narang !

Eric August 15, 2023

Hi @Sid Narang ,

Value Engineering for Epics is still supported in Version 10.123.0 , right? I've enabled value engineering in our portfolios but I can only see it in Features and Capabilities, not in Epics.

Thanks

[edit] Turns out there was a missing settings in the Role that I was using, value engineering is visible now for Epics.

Like Philipp Barry likes this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events