Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jira and Jira Align Integration: How to resolve misaligned future sprints

Q: What do I do if the future dates of Jira sprints are misaligned on the Jira Align Sprint Board under Jira Management > Jira Sprints?

A:

1. Jira does not assign date ranges to future sprints without interference from an add-on. The Jira Align connector predicts the future sprint dates based on PI anchor dates and existing Jira Align sprints. The Jira connector will align future Jira sprints based on their sequential order on their respective Jira board and the sequential order of Jira Align PI anchor dates. Common reasons for future Jira sprints to be misaligned include the creation and later deletion of a bucket sprint for planning in Jira and improperly managed PI long sprints in support of a Kanban cadence. If your future sprints are misaligned, it will most likely look something like this.

image.png

2. Once you recognize that future Jira sprints are misaligned on the Jira Align sprint board, you should proceed to the PI Sync Sprints tab. Go to Program > Manage > Program Increments > select the PI corresponding to the Program the Jira Board is mapped to > Sync Sprints tab. You should verify your active Jira sprint is on the same cadence as the Jira Align anchor sprints plus or minus the assigned buffer days under Jira Settings > Jira Setup.

image.png

3. After verifying your Jira board is on the same cadence as the Jira Align PI, you should check the sprint grid for any sprints sharing an anchor date with another sprint or sprints that are past their completion date, but still open. Move any sprints past their completion date that are still open to the Completed status. If you have the toggle under Jira Settings > Jira Setup > Create Sprints in Jira Align from Jira set to Yes, you should ensure there is only one team sprint for each PI anchor sprint by deleting any duplicate sprints. If you have the toggle under Jira Settings > Jira Setup > Create Sprints in Jira Align from Jira set to No, you should make sure there is an Jira Align team sprint created for each anchor sprint and delete any duplicates.

image.png

4. After cleaning up the sprint grid, you should return to the Jira Align sprint board, and then click Resync Future Sprints, which will null Jira Align’s predicted sprint dates for the Jira future sprints and repopulate the dates based on the PI anchor sprints and existing Jira Align sprints. If Create Sprints in Jira Align from Jira is set to Yes, the connector will create new team sprints based on the PI anchor sprints if necessary. If Create Sprints in Jira Align from Jira is set to No, the connector will only map to existing team sprints.

image.png

5. The Board Sync Start Time will reappear in the upper right corner of the board, notifying you that the resync is completed. This process can take 10 to 30 minutes depending on the size of the board. If Synchronize sprint names from Jira to Jira Align is set to Yes, the names will resync over upon the next automated board sync, which is set under Jira Settings > Jira Setup > Timer on Jira Boards.

image.png

4 comments

Shawn Kessler
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 5, 2020

When I first started integrating Jira and Jira Align, this was one of my biggest issues! Misaligned future sprints were the bane of my existence...ugh. This article would have come in handy, but so glad to see it in the collection now.

Like # people like this
st1378 September 20, 2021

I would be good to add content regarding sync of completed sprints.  We have several clients wanting to sync completed sprints.

Tim Keyes
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 20, 2021

Hi @st1378

Can you please add additional context to what you are looking for and I will see if we can get someone to publish an article.

Can you please verify if you are seeking to sync the data from completed sprints in Jira for teams that have not historically existing in Jira Align?

Thank you!
Tim

abel.van.der.beek November 24, 2021

Would it be an option to create iterations in Jira Align, based on PI iterations and then sync them to Jira. Is that possible?

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events