Jira Align and Jira Integration: Jira Management Shared Sprints and Origin Sprints.

The Jira Align 10.61 Release provided an updated user interface for Jira Align Admin > Jira Management that includes an option for Jira sprints to sync with the options of "only sprints created on board" and "sprints created and shared to board".

image.png

When the Jira Align Connector queries Jira for boards using the following API Call:

(Base Jira URL)/rest/agile/1.0/board/(Board ID)/sprint

The results of the API Call for an individual sprint will look something like this:

image.png

If the toggle for "only sprints created on board" is selected the connector will only map Jira sprints to Jira Align when the originBoardId from Jira matches the ID of the board integrated with Jira Align.  Sprints that are not pulled in will be logged in the logs of each integrated board.

image.png

image.png

If the toggle for "sprints created and shared to board" is selected the connector will map all Jira sprints to Jira Align where the sprint has an assigned Jira Issue that is pulled in via the integrated Jira Board's Filter Query.  

Best Practice:

The recommended practice would be enabling "only sprints created on board" for all integrated boards and ensuring that teams in Jira create sprints only on the actual board that will be integrated with Jira Align to ensure sprints are in alignment.

7 comments

Peter Jessen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 8, 2020

Hi @Tim Keyes,

This is a nice update to the Origin Sprints functionality to make it much clearer for admins. I like the detail you provided on what the results sets look like.

Of course, the question I wonder about is - Is there a single Jira Align client that DOESN'T use the best practice? Being part of AgileCraft when Origin Sprints functionality was first introduces, I was of the strong opinion this should even be an option. That's why I'm wondering if there is even a reasonable use case for using "sprints created and shared to board" in a proper implementation?

I guess I'll pose it as a question to the community here. :-)

Thanks!

Peter

Like # people like this
Tim Keyes
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 8, 2020

Hi Peter,

A use case that I typically see is when clients initially start utilizing Jira Align they want to bring in legacy data.  Legacy Jira Data prior to Jira Align implementations typically has a high percentage of sprints shared across multiple boards.  When this occurrence happens Admins can set  "sprints created and shared to board" to bring in all the available sprints. Any sprints that are not needed can be removed from the mapping.  Then "only sprints created on board" should be turned back on to maintain a clean integration moving forward.

Outside of clean-up and maintenance the "sprints created and shared to board" is only utilized in edge cases that would require more maintenance than a standard implementation.

Like # people like this
Peter Jessen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 8, 2020

Hi Tim,

Interesting. I thought of that edge case, but haven't used it. We've typically required clean up of sprints prior to integration for all the headaches you know personally.

I can definitely see using it only during initial integration as a transition step, but that requires additional attention to detail from those doing the integration.

Cheers,
Peter

Like # people like this
Rae Gibbs
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 10, 2020

I noticed this feature enhancement yesterday when working with a customer.  This layout is more intuitive than the previous format of the toggle.  Any idea when the support content and integration guide will also be updated?

Like # people like this
Tim Keyes
Atlassian Team
January 10, 2020

Hi Rae,

The knowledge base content has been updated.  Primarily in the Jira Management article that can be found here:

https://agilecrafthelp.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360018815534-10X-Jira-Management-Settings

Please let us know if you would like to see updates in any other locations.

Cheers!

Tim

Like # people like this
Rae Gibbs
Atlassian Team
January 10, 2020

Hey Tim - This is the article that I was walking through yesterday and noticed the reference to the use of the toggle, https://agilecrafthelp.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000088453-10X-Jira-Integration-Setup .  Same reference in that section of the Jira Integration guide.

Like # people like this
Tim Keyes
Atlassian Team
January 10, 2020

Hi Rae,

Thank you for the note.  I have updated the setup article and linked to this community post within the article as well.  The guide will be updated before our next release.

Cheers!

Tim

Like # people like this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events