multiple email handlers

Lisa Schaffer February 25, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Configuring JIRA's SMTP mail server to send notifications

We have a complex setup in that we have 2 service desk projects with emails from both of them using different email addresses (eg. sd1@company.com and sd2@compnay.com) we ALSO have an email handler setup for the normal NON-service desk projects and the emails are not being processed when a client emails back to us.  We have an outgoing email jira@company.com and the incoming for the handler is Applicationwork@company.com - what are we doing wrong?

Any help would be much appreciated.

2 answers

0 votes
Lisa Schaffer February 25, 2016

Hi Tibor,

To answer your questions:

1.  Application work is the one where the replies (comments) are not being processed by JIRA.  Service Desk is working and is using 2 different email accounts (one per project).  It's the normal JIRA email handler that is not working.
  2. Yes the clients do have service desk accounts in JIRA
  3. yes they are being handled in service desk correctly, but not in the NON service Desk projects (JIRA Software)
  4. The email reply is being sent to JIRAAdmin@Company.com as the OUTGOING mail is using that.  But the incoming is using a different email address.  Can I have multiple outgoing mail addresses?
  5. I haven't checked the permissions, this might be an issue.

I hope this answers some of the questions.  I haven't checked the log files.  I will go look.

Thanks

Tibor Hegyi _META-INF_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
February 25, 2016

The email reply is being sent to JIRAAdmin@Company.com

That's one of the problems then. The handler expects emails on Applicationwork@ but clients send their reply to JIRAAdmin@.

The good news is that you can set a project email address in the Project Administration / Notification page. Set it to ApplicationWork@. This will make sure that outgoing emails from this project will have this address as sender, instead of the global JIRAAdmin@ one. See details in the docs.

Another problem may be permissions. If your clients, who are SD Customers send emails to ApplicationWork@ then emails will not be processed because they do not have Create Issue permissions in the project.

This means you may need to assign permissions to the customer accounts in that project. 

Normally, this would be where the default reporter should jump in and create issues on behalf of the clients. Unfortunately, Default Reporter will not work here because JIRA recognizes that the sender has an account but without permissions and will refuse the emails with printing warning to the logs about missing permissions. Therefore it is easy to very if this is the issue.

Let me know if you see permission problems in the logs. This will mean that JIRA attempts to import the emails at least, so that emails are routed correctly.

If permission problems occur, there may be solutions and workarounds. Addons such as Email This Issue has Mail Handlers that work like JIRA but overcome the permission problem by falling back to the default reporter in case the sender is recognized but lacks permissions to create issues / comments.

Tibor

0 votes
Tibor Hegyi _META-INF_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
February 25, 2016

Hi Lisa,

I raise a few questions to better understand the situation.

• I did not fully understand which of the three mail handler fail to import client reply emails. The service desk or Applicationwork? It is important because SD handlers work differently.
  • Do the clients have Service Desk Customer accounts in JIRA?
  • Are emails imported into the service desks but not via the non-service desk handler?
  • Are you sure that the client reply email are sent to an email address your service desks or handler are listening on? You must make sure that the sender address / reply-to address in the emails going out from JIRA is correct so that when client hits Reply in Outlook, the reply email is sent to the valid addresses of your handlers.
  • Are new emails (not emails that are reply to JIRA emails) imported properly?
  • what happens to the reply emails that your clients send? Are they stuck in the mailbox or get deleted?
  • Any sign or errors in the logs? atlassian-jira.log, atlassian-jira-incoming-mail.log?
  • Is the default reporter set in the mail handler authorized to create issues, add comments in the projects? We have come accross cases when emails were not imported due to lack of permissions.

So let us know you answers and it will bring everybody closer to understand the problems.

Tibor

Suggest an answer