Velocity Chart is including sprints of other projects

Hisamitsu Koga February 14, 2016

We have been encountering a problem which Velocity Chart is including sprints of other projects.

Let me assume that there is one project:"project_1" now. All correct sprints have "Atlas" at the start of sprint name.

When display Velocity Chart of "project_1" board, there are wrong sprints like:

• Wrong_sprint_1
  • Wrong_sprint_2

If we search for Atlas tickets with the above sprint name, there is no result. When perform JQL (project=project_1

and sprint in (Wrong_sprint_1), no result though.

Is this known issue? If yes, what is the issue number? What do we need to investigate and how can we resolve

this situation?

Any comments would be very helpful. 

6 answers

5 votes
Raj Adluru December 7, 2016

This is bug in JIRA, tracked here - https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSW-13783

please vote on this to get more visibility, so that they can look into this and fix this.

thanks

Raj Adluru December 7, 2016

The bug i mentioned above is for JIRA server.

For JIRA cloud this should have been fixed - https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSW-12805, please verify.

John_Chesshir March 6, 2017

JSW-12805 did not adequately resolve this problem, and it was clonged to JSW-13783.  However, In my opinion, the new ticket still does not propose the proper expected results to resolve the problem.

Please also check out my recent comment for JSW-13783 https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSW-13783 and up-vote this ticket, especially if you agree with my comments.

Brian Matis September 5, 2017

Voted! Thanks for the link.

3 votes
Heman R September 7, 2016

Hello

We are facing same issue on our instance .

Did you guys get any solution ? 

Help will be appreciated .

Thanks

Heman

2 votes
Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 7, 2016

We're also facing this issue at the moment on our server instance. A few weeks ago the velocity chart started to mix up our three Projects for the scrum teams. The velocity reports of two boards are filled with sprints of every team. Only one team seems not to be affected, for unknown reason. Just opened a ticket with the support as well.

Best,

Max Förster

1 vote
Tom Setzer December 1, 2016

We are seeing this now as well.  We just started using Portfolio and it started to happen.  Not sure that we are doing anything else different.

0 votes

I've had this happen as well, but know the cause for my scenario. It happened when a ticket was once part of another project and was in a sprint on that project. It then moved over to my project, but since it was once part of other sprints, those sprints now show up in my project's velocity charts.

Unfortunately, I see no way to remove it from being in those other sprints, since they were closed out. I've considered copying the ticket and only having the new version in my project, but I'm not thrilled with that approach...

Good news! I was able to find a way to remove those other project's sprints from the ticket by making use of the "bulk edit" feature. Followed the advice listed here:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/JIRA-questions/How-do-I-remove-an-issue-from-a-completed-sprint/qaq-p/123077

Removing those other sprints from it have cleared up the velocity chart. Not really great way to do this (resolving https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWSERVER-13783 would be nicer) but this has worked for me in the meantime.

Reese Gibbons Schmit February 15, 2018

I'm not actually finding the issues that are causing this though. I've checked the sprints in question, and there are no errant issues.

Marisa Hager July 10, 2019

Same here - I've run down every ticket from the errant sprints and NO tickets have the other sprints assigned or are a part of the board's filter.  There's no overlap between the board filters, no history on any of the tickets of ever being part of another project or another board's filter.  It took forever, but there is no smoking gun in the data.  What's more the errant sprints when you click on the link to them from the velocity report, they link to NOT the named sprint in the link BUT one of the sprints that's already on the velocity chart.  So the text is wrong, and the link is a duplicate. 

For example of 3 sprints on the velocity report -> Board 1 Sprint 1, Board 2 Sprint 1, Board 3 Sprint 1- only Board 1 Sprint 1 is correct.  But if you click on the link that says Board 2 Sprint 1, it takes you to the sprint report for Board 1 Sprint1!  Again, no overlap on the filters between Boards 1, 2 and 3  and nothing in the ticket history that indicated it ever was part of the project, board filter or sprint value associated with those errant sprints :(

Like # people like this
Barath March 17, 2020

i am facing same issue now,did you find any solution for it

Kathy Barton
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 11, 2020

STILL having this problem in server v8.5.0.

A bug like this open for over 4 years seems like a violation of the Atlassian "Dont &*%^ the customer" philosophy. 

0 votes
Jan Anderson December 21, 2016

We are also seeing this issue. We just started using Portfolio also but I saw this before we put that add-on in our production environment. Don't think it is related to Portfolio. 

Suggest an answer