Turn off notification email after hitting "Assign to me" (I don't want to get that message)

Christian Czaia _Decadis AG_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 5, 2012

Hey,

I don't know if I'm missing sth.

- I have a notification scheme notifying assignees upon assigning an issue to them- fine.
- I also have set up a notification upon a change of the issue status
- I have set up "Do not notify me" in my profile

Regarding workflow transitions everything works fine. As soon as "I" update the issue status I don't get an e-mail. If an issue is assigned to another person and I hit the "assign to me" button or alternatively hit assign and choose myself I get a message.

Apparently JIRA does't treat the assign issue operation like a "change" thus ignoring my "Do not notify me" setting. Is there any workaroud other than disabling the assign tabs and working with the assignee field in edit mode?

Thanks in advance

Christian

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 5, 2012

That doesn't sound right to me. Jira doesn't treat "assign" any differently from any other event when deciding on recipients (Although the assign event does treat "assignee" as both old and new assignee)

I suspect you've got something in the assignee notifications that is causing it - what do you have in the notification for "assigned" (apart from assignee of course)

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 5, 2012

My notification scheme looks as follows:

Create issue: Current assignee, custom field (supervisor)
Assign issue: Current assignee
status change: custom field (supervisor)

Rising Star
Rising Star
July 5, 2012

I think I got it sorted out. I was testing with a demo user (with my mail address )so I couldn't really evaluate "who" actually got the mail.

So if an issue is assigned to "XY" and and I assign the the issue to me user "XY" gets the notification and not me, right?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 5, 2012

Ahh, that explains it.

Not quite - if an issue is assigned to XY and you assign it to you, then Jira will generate an email to send to both of you. But it will drop the one it's going to send to you because it was you who made the change, and you've got "don't mail me on my changes" flag set.

Suggest an answer