The Original Estimate field is missing when creating stories and sub-tasks!

Aidan Doolan December 1, 2014

I've created a new project/board and although it's set to use time tracking no Original Estimate filed is shown on the sub-task creation screen. It is possible to log time against the sub-task.

The "Where's my field?" feature didn't help.

Help!

10 answers

1 accepted

39 votes
Answer accepted
Paula Silveira
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 1, 2014

Hi Aidan,

Please follow the steps below in order to add those fields:

• Access Jira as administrator
  • Click on "Issues"
  • Click on "Screens"
  • Search for screen scheme that's being used by the project, then click on it
  • There you'll be able to add and remove fields
  • Add "Time Tracking"

Once it's done, on create issue screen you'll see "Original estimate" field, if you don't see it then you may click on "Configure Fields" and enable "Time Tracking".

Thanks and regards,
Paula Silveira

Aidan Doolan December 1, 2014

Thanks Paula, I can't believe I managed to miss this. My apologies. Best, Aidan

DI2E Licensing
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 17, 2015

In one project, when I edit an issue, I see the "Original Estimate" field, in another I don't.  Can't figure out the difference between the two.  Both have "Time Tracking" field on the screen.  It's not "hidden" in the field configuration scheme.  "Remaining Estimate" field appears for both projects.  What's up? 

Like # people like this
DI2E Licensing
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 17, 2015

Oh ... I might add that the "Original Estimate" field is there when the issues are originally created. In both projects.

Curtis Broom December 15, 2015

I am not sure what's going on with the Jira changes, but as of this post this is how it works. When you create your project and use project type "Software", you will not have "Original Estimate", but when you create your project type as "Business" you have them. I am still trying to get that "Original Estimate" turned back on.

Like Rafa likes this
Charles Thompson January 7, 2016

Mad as hell !!! As a new JIRA experimental user, I was trying to work out why the team couldn't enter original time estimates for time tracking so I spent 4 hours into the early morning trying to decide what was going on (as we couldn't see the entry field, even with estimation statistic set to 'Original Time Estimate' & Time Tracking set to 'Remaining Estimate / Time Spent' in the board config). Why oh why is this 'Time Tracking' screen field not added by default once it has been configured in the board. Surely at least an error or warning flag should be set on the page !!! Thanks anyway to whoever pointed me to Paula's post. I'm still recovering from only getting to bed for two hours that night. It is working now after about a fresh 50 second search on-line ;-)

Like # people like this
Amit Godbole December 4, 2017

Thanks a lot Paula. I am not sure how I missed it. Could have been easier if I copied from an earlier project which had it.

regards,

Amit

Manglesh Vyas July 12, 2018

Thanks Paula,

This worked perfect for Me.

Laura Libby July 20, 2018

Wow, thanks so much. I thought I was crazy.

Who would have thought that adding a 'field' called Time Tracking would actually add a field called Original Estimate???

Thanks again!!

Laura

Balu All October 4, 2019

Thank you!

4 votes
Dave DiNatale June 28, 2017

I could not find the Original Estimate field either after viewing Paula's answer (above).  To actually see the field, I needed to "Configure Fields" when creating a new issue and turn on "Time Tracking" there.  Screen shot below.

Original Estimate.png

Bhavin Acharya June 30, 2017

Thanks a lot Dave....it is working :)

1. Go to "Field Configuration" in admin mode.

2. Add your "Screen name"which your project is working.

Like hatt likes this
Andriy Tatchyn March 8, 2018

The current interface does not look like this anymore !!! 

Sharon Suhitha Glenn July 23, 2018

Thanks a lot!  for the screenshot. It helped a lot :)

Michael Michalak November 2, 2018

I tried these and all looks configured correctly but I do not see the field for Estimate.  I can track time but I am unable to update the original estimate field.

I also do not see the time tracking in the configuration show in the screen shot.

Like # people like this
Prem Kumar S. R. November 21, 2018

Any luck, Michael? I am looking forward to take your help if you got a breakthrough in getting Original Estimate field on the Create Issue screen. Me too struggling to get it up. 

2 votes
DI2E Licensing
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 17, 2015

FOUND IT. 

• If Legacy Mode is enabled, your users can only specify an Original Estimatebefore they start logging work on an issue. This value cannot be changed once any work has been logged, unless all work logs for that issue are first deleted.

I went to Time Tracking and turned off Legacy Mode. That fixed it for me.

Kristell FonsecaDuarte June 12, 2017

Thanks this was helpful :)

Deleted user October 7, 2018

good stuff.. this was extremely useful. As soon as i deleted the worklogs, i was able to view the original estimate field. Thanks!

1 vote
Umer Saeed February 5, 2015

Hi Guys

I have JIRA 6.4 and Tempo Timesheets 7.1.

I have Time Tracking ON, and have Time Tracking field added to my default screens to the project. But I am not able to see the Original Estimate fields or where to add the Estimations in hours into my tickets.

Have followed all steps above and have done countless settings to try and get it - but to no luck.

Any ideas please?

0 votes
K_ Yamamoto
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 20, 2016

configure-screen.pngtime-tracking.png

I've attached screenshots based on Paula's answer.

Hope it helps.

0 votes
Mikkel Rostock January 12, 2016

Any news on this?

0 votes
Nikoletta October 26, 2015

We are facing the same issue. 

Did you manage to sort it in the meantime maybe, @George Tellechea?  

Thanks for any suggestions in advance. 

0 votes
George Tellechea October 20, 2015

I have the same problem - there is no "original estimate" field anywhere.  Here's all that I see

1. Time spent
  2. Date Started
  3. Remaining estimate
    1. Adjust automatically
    2. use existing estimate of ____ 
    3. Set to ___
    4. Reduce by ___
  4. Work Description

Even in the Time Tracking area, Estimated shows a grey bar with "Not Specified" next to it.

Help anyone?

0 votes
Gaetano Giunta April 30, 2015

Seem to have the same problem here - JIRA 6.4 - Time Tracking field is present in screen definition, but no Original Estimate field showing up.

When logging time, users can change the estimate, but the 'original estimate' next to the edit field for the new one is always blank

0 votes
Märt Suga February 27, 2015

I have the same problem - Time Tracking field is added but no Original Estimate field on default screen.

Suggest an answer