Structure x Epics and Sub-Tasks

Martim Schnack March 11, 2014

I am creating a structure that will list several projects that our Marketing is involved.

Here's a couple of things that I am having some trouble with:

1 - I create Epics, and Stories as sub-issues for those Epics in Structure, but inside the Jira board, the stories are not inside the Epics.

2 - I cannot create a sub-task inside the Stories in Structure. In the issue type drop-down, all I see is: Story, Task, Issue, and Bug. How can I create sub-tasks for a story from Structure?

Thank you!

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Robert Leitch [ALM Works]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 13, 2014

Hi Martim,

1. Could you clarify which JIRA boards you are experiencing this problem with?

2. Sub-tasks in JIRA are different from ordinary issues; it's more than just an issue type that separates them. Structure works with issues proper and as such isn't geared towards creating sub-tasks inline. That's not to say it can't be done, of course :)

You can create a sub-task in Structure using the 'Create Sub-Task' command in the JIRA actions menu. It can be accessed either in the gearwheel menu of the issue that is to be the parent, or by highlighting the issue (so it has the pale blue background) then using the '.' JIRA operations dialog shortcut and starting to type 'Create Sub-Task'.

This will open JIRA's native sub-task dialog in which you can create the sub-task in JIRA. Here you will be able to select from the available issue types configured for sub-tasks).

Note that the newly-created sub-task isn't added directly to Structure; this procedure is very not the same as adding an issue inline using the Structure editor! If you want the sub-task to be added automatically to the structure (and you do) you need to have a synchronizer running on that Structure that will pull in sub-tasks.

If everything is working right, the sub-task will appear in the structure within a few seconds of creation. Should you have any difficulties you can try it out in this demo structure. Let me know how you get on.

Best,

Robert

Suggest an answer